Thoughts on Charleston and liberal apologists...

livespive

:) No kids YEs they will push you.

I get your point totally, but that is just it, just because you say it is not offensive dosn't just make it go away.
I had the same weight issue, and did what you did, but there are others out there that are not as strong as we are.

I don't have kids, so its not something I got to worry about, LOL!`

I still think my point is being missed. I was always called fat and tub-o-lard growing up. That stopped when I decided to not give a shit about it. Since I wasn't offended by it anymore, the kids stopped calling me names.

livespive

Greg, I would agree with you, but it started somewhere. Like I was saying with Djarum300,
would you let your child come up to you and say dad, I have to take a shit? Or when you tell him
to do his homework he tells you history, I don't give a Fuck about history, what the Hell will history do for me?

Someone put words on the shock o meter and now we have to deal with it :)
If we could just wipe the slate clean and start over, I would be all for it.

I want to know why some words possess so much power that we DARE whisper them. Seriously. I take issue with having to use the "N" word instead of saying nigger. I take issue with having to say the "C" word instead of cunt. Are we THAT fucking sensitive now that we can't HEAR the words? Is this going to end up like this?: I went to the D word last night and saw a few W words there. They were looking for H word D word so I bought them an B word for good measure. D word B word Lword was time for us to F word so I grabbed a C word and F worded her good.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Greg, I would agree with you, but it started somewhere. Like I was saying with Djarum300,
would you let your child come up to you and say dad, I have to take a shit? Or when you tell him
to do his homework he tells you history, I don't give a Fuck about history, what the Hell will history do for me?

Someone put words on the shock o meter and now we have to deal with it :)
If we could just wipe the slate clean and start over, I would be all for it.

I can understand that. But most "offensive" words were created to BE offensive words. Now, I've not done the research so correct me if I'm wrong, but words like shit, fuck, etc really have no other meanings. Cunt, I assume, is derived from the word cunnilingus. Or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know. But what I don't understand is WHY people take perfectly good words and suddenly become offended at the sound of them. A couple of hundred years ago Negro was a perfectly acceptable word, and blacks preferred it's use. WTF?

livespive

"Audience is important"........

You said it right there. That is why all of this will never go away.

I have kids. Those who want to could cuss you a blue streak. I've told them, "They're words. Just remember that audience is important [i.e. don't cuss in front of Grandma] and using such words to incite anger or negative emotions in others is unacceptable."

As for the Nazi bullshit, I think that was handled well by Greg. Let's not forget, however, that the swastika was stolen by the Nazi party and commuted into a symbol of Aryan supremacy.

livespive

Like Scolai said with the swastika. It's when things are stolen, and used for something else that we have a problem.

Even if someone calls you an ass, they are not saying that you are an animal, they are calling y ou stupid. The word ass would be considdered a cuss word, but stupid is not???? Yet they are used for the same thing.

I can understand that. But most "offensive" words were created to BE offensive words. Now, I've not done the research so correct me if I'm wrong, but words like shit, fuck, etc really have no other meanings. Cunt, I assume, is derived from the word cunnilingus. Or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know. But what I don't understand is WHY people take perfectly good words and suddenly become offended at the sound of them. A couple of hundred years ago Negro was a perfectly acceptable word, and blacks preferred it's use. WTF?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Like Scolai said with the swastika. It's when things are stolen, and used for something else that we have a problem.

Even if someone calls you an ass, they are not saying that you are an animal, they are calling y ou stupid. The word ass would be considdered a cuss word, but stupid is not???? Yet they are used for the same thing.
My point, exactly. But there are cases where people CHOOSE to be offended for no apparent reason, and then THAT word becomes taboo.

livespive

Right, but what if there is no choice?
YOu can say in your mind that y ou are not offended, but when the masses are calling you something, then you start to think?

I myself have been a believer of actions speaking louder than words. You can call me anything you want, but if you try to put
you hands on my, I'll rip them off put them in a bag for you. ;):Biggrin::Ninja:

My point, exactly. But there are cases where people CHOOSE to be offended for no apparent reason, and then THAT word becomes taboo.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Right, but what if there is no choice?
YOu can say in your mind that y ou are not offended, but when the masses are calling you something, then you start to think?

I myself have been a believer of actions speaking louder than words. You can call me anything you want, but if you try to put
you hands on my, I'll rip them off put them in a bag for you
. ;):Biggrin::Ninja:

This

Scolai

This is how I explained it to my kids:

Is the word 'hate' a bad word? Well, that depends, now, doesn't it. If you were to say, for example, that you hate broccoli, then one wouldn't be inclined to say, "My goodness! You need to clean up your language!"

However, if you were to say, "I hate YOU!" NOW we have a problem.

See, the intent of the first statement is to express an extreme dislike for something that doesn't have an emotional investment in the comment. The second statement is very different - there's a person on the other end of the statement. A recipient. A target. Someone whose feelings you are intending to hurt. That's wrong.

Similarly, saying, "That's a pretty fucked up story," carries a different intent from, "Get fucked!" Same word, entirely different intent.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger

Is the word 'hate' a bad word? Well, that depends, now, doesn't it. If you were to say, for example, that you hate broccoli, then one wouldn't be inclined to say, "My goodness! You need to clean up your language!"

See, the intent of the first statement is to express an extreme dislike for something that doesn't have an emotional investment in the comment. The second statement is very different - there's a person on the other end of the statement. A recipient. A target. Someone whose feelings you are intending to hurt. That's wrong.

Similarly, saying, "That's a pretty fucked up story," carries a different intent from, "Get fucked!" Same word, entirely different intent.

But there are exceptions to this rule. What if someone says "I hate murderers" ?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member

Why can't I express my extreme dislike for another person? Maybe he's a total asshole and I really DO hate him! Just because his feelings may get hurt I shouldn't honestly express myself? Fuck him and his feelings! I hate that SOB!! :Biggrin:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Why can't I express my extreme dislike for another person? Maybe he's a total asshole and I really DO hate him! Just because his feelings may get hurt I shouldn't honestly express myself? Fuck him and his feelings! I hate that SOB!! :Biggrin:
Dear 9andaWiggle:

As most of us are aware, some Internet discussion forums allow posters to express extreme dislike for others.

Scolai

Context, gentlemen. Context. Playing the 'what if' game could keep us busy for the rest of our lives. ;)