Trump is popular because GOP establishment makes him look good

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Even though Donald Trump's language and remarks toward others have concerned some Republicans, a number of GOP voters are becoming more and more disgusted with the party's establishment. And the more that the establishment leaders speak out and attempt to derail Trump, the more some are turning toward him.

Indeed, Trump's supporters are comparing him with the “Washington elite” and saying they want less of the latter. Even when Republicans have held control in Congress, they have made no significant progress in resolving the problems of national debt, Social Security and Medicare, trade deficits, loss of manufacturing jobs, health care costs and immigration.

The fact that these problems still linger indicates, in major part, lack of an effective driver of the congressional process. Barack Hussein Obama ignores Congress, and Congress seems content to wait for another president to hopefully make its job easier. Obama concerns himself with closing Guantanamo, while members of the GOP establishment argue about who is the most conservative.

Is it any wonder that GOP primary voters are turning to a mover-and-shaker? The electorate's collective sense is that more progress can be had than what has been seen, and they are seeking alternatives. With Trump, they know there will be solutions rather than ideological machinations, and whereas there may be disappointments in style, they feel that there will be results.

When Republican leaders attack Trump for flip-flopping and allegedly leaning liberal in the past, it undermines exactly what the Republican Party should be doing, because winning people over to the GOP and conservative side should be celebrated, not vilified.

It's likely that Trump understands the economy and jobs better than any of the presidential candidates. and it's likely that he'll surround himself with the right military minds to protect us while actually doing something to prevent illegal immigration.

bbfreeburn

AW said, "It's likely that Trump understands the economy and jobs better than any of the presidential candidates. and it's likely that he'll surround himself with the right military minds to protect us while actually doing something to prevent illegal immigration."

On what do you base this? He has made no statement that would lead one to these conclusions, other than baldly saying he would surround himself with "the best people." He has yet to name any of those people. He has yet to make any policy statement to suggest a great understanding of the economy and jobs. In fact he has hired many foreign nationals in his own enterprises and has declared bankruptcy (business) several times. That, to me, doesn't demonstrate great understanding of the economy.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
AW said, "It's likely that Trump understands the economy and jobs better than any of the presidential candidates. and it's likely that he'll surround himself with the right military minds to protect us while actually doing something to prevent illegal immigration."

On what do you base this? He has made no statement that would lead one to these conclusions, other than baldly saying he would surround himself with "the best people." He has yet to name any of those people. He has yet to make any policy statement to suggest a great understanding of the economy and jobs. In fact he has hired many foreign nationals in his own enterprises and has declared bankruptcy (business) several times. That, to me, doesn't demonstrate great understanding of the economy.
Quite to the contrary. Knowing and applying the bankruptcy/restructuring laws to ones advantage is paramount to running huge business. And let's face it, the federal government is HUGE business. For all practical purposes, our country has been bankrupt since 1933 when our monetary system was removed from the gold standard. Since then, we've had nothing, zero, zilch with which to repay our debtors. We owe so much ($19 Trillion) that we have a difficult time paying the interest, let alone the actual principal. Everyone seems to enjoy using Trumps business decisions against him when in fact they should be commending him for knowing and using the laws afforded him by the U.S. government. Maybe, just maybe, he knows much more about running big business than the last bunch of career politicians, who have done nothing but increase the debt, increase the debt ceiling, and lower our credit rating, which raises our interest charges. Since Trump has extreme business education and experience, it's not a guess that he can trim the expenditures, maximize revenues and run the government as an efficient entity. Trump has been known to have the ability to surround himself with the sharpest minds available pertaining to any given task, and we have no reason to believe that as president he would do anything less. As a businessman, he can quickly spot the inefficiencies because he has not been born and bred into the political merry go round. He has been an extremely hard on himself his entire life with a goal to succeed. THAT is why we need Trump.

bbfreeburn

So you would be OK if he became President and declared that the U.S. was bankrupt? It's what he does , you know.

Good Times Good Times

Well, declaring bankrupcy and not paying your bills a few times allows you to take advantage of the situation. You can't do that in government. If you fail to raise the debt ceiling then it requires treasury to do crazy shit which would lead us into a recession.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I think Mitch would have been a great President. He really did some good things in Indiana as Governor. Believe it or not, under his tenure the DMV went from the typical hell hole everyone dreads dealing with to an efficient process where I could be in and out in about 10 minutes for anything. New license, tags, even tags for out of state vehicles. It was AWESOME!

Too bad, I think he had an affair or something in his past. I can't be sure, but I think he didn't run for Pres because he didn't want to put his wife/family through that again - and you know the opposition would have been relentless on that. And possibly he was just tired of politics. I don't blame him. But I think he'd be hands down the best R in the stack for the job.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Sorry for the hijack - the link between Trump and Daniels being Mitch also had experience running a company. BUT, he also had political experience which Trump does not.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member

Dear bbfreeburn:

Let's start by indicating that Bernie Sanders might understand the economy, but he would lead us in an even-further higher-tax, distribute-the-wealth situation than we already have. And Hillary, in essence, promised a "third term" of Barack Hussein Obama, and many Americans understand how that would likely work.

Also, keep in mind that I said it's LIKELY -- not guaranteed or certain -- that Trump understands the economy and jobs better than the other presidential candidates. At least, Trump has been involved with economy and jobs more than a certain community organizer, and he has become extremely successful despite dealing with bankruptcies. And whether he'll admit it or not, Ted Cruz is part of the D.C. establishment that has failed this country so often by failing to deal seriously with such things as the skyrocketing national debt and rampant government overspending.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Quite to the contrary. Knowing and applying the bankruptcy/restructuring laws to ones advantage is paramount to running huge business. And let's face it, the federal government is HUGE business. For all practical purposes, our country has been bankrupt since 1933 when our monetary system was removed from the gold standard. Since then, we've had nothing, zero, zilch with which to repay our debtors. We owe so much ($19 Trillion) that we have a difficult time paying the interest, let alone the actual principal. Everyone seems to enjoy using Trumps business decisions against him when in fact they should be commending him for knowing and using the laws afforded him by the U.S. government. Maybe, just maybe, he knows much more about running big business than the last bunch of career politicians, who have done nothing but increase the debt, increase the debt ceiling, and lower our credit rating, which raises our interest charges. Since Trump has extreme business education and experience, it's not a guess that he can trim the expenditures, maximize revenues and run the government as an efficient entity. Trump has been known to have the ability to surround himself with the sharpest minds available pertaining to any given task, and we have no reason to believe that as president he would do anything less. As a businessman, he can quickly spot the inefficiencies because he has not been born and bred into the political merry go round. He has been an extremely hard on himself his entire life with a goal to succeed. THAT is why we need Trump.
Dear Greg T:

Your post contains valid points that I fully agree with, but I didn't read it until after I had already replied to bbfreeburn.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
So you would be OK if he became President and declared that the U.S. was bankrupt? It's what he does , you know.
Dear bbfreeburn:

Are you indicating that Trump might declare bankruptcy upon becoming president? In that case, he may be right after 16 years of George Walker Bush and Barack Hussein Obama.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Well, declaring bankrupcy and not paying your bills a few times allows you to take advantage of the situation. You can't do that in government. If you fail to raise the debt ceiling then it requires treasury to do crazy shit which would lead us into a recession.
Dear GTGT:

It may be painful -- extremely painful -- but the government needs to "tighten its belt" and do something about the $19-plus trillion debt (and where the country is headed as a result).

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
It's not "what he does". He has, four times in his life, taken advantage of the bankruptcy laws to keep from losing a huge portion of his wealth. WHY? Because the economy in Atlantic City went down the tubes. So, out of thousands of outstandingly successful real estate deals he's made, he lost a few. Please tell me how this is so much worse than Bernie mooching and couch hopping off his friends until he was 40 years old, and then became a career politician because he was still too lazy to work. At least Trump has the business sense to know when to fold'em.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yeah, Trump wasn't "too big to fail" unlike Hillary's buddies, so bankruptcy was his only way out. No government bailouts for The Donald.

Last edited:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Yeah, Trump wasn't "too big to fail" unlike Hillary's buddies, so bankruptcy was his only way out. No government bailouts for The Donald.

Plus, I don't understand the uproar from liberals. Everything he did was above board and perfectly within his rights and the laws. Look what Bam Bam's buddies/contributors did when they got their refunds. 40+ bogus "green energy" companies took the money and ran without ever producing a product.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AND IF TRUMP HIRES "THE BEST PEOPLE" OUTSIDE THE NORMAL POLITICAL CRONIES TO FILL HIS STAFF, WOULD THAT REALLY BE A BAD THING AT THIS POINT. THE PEOPLE THERE NOW SURE DONT KNOW.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Hell, even if he hires the WORST people outside the normal political cronies for his staff it'll still be an improvement!