Tyson Foods Saw 2 Amputations Per Month

MI2AZ

A lot of chicken finger jokes here.

The largest meat producer in America averaged nearly two worker amputations per month in its factories to start 2015. And that's likely just the tip of the iceberg. Celeste Monforton, a professor of occupational health, requested federal injury reports for Tyson Foods for the first nine months of 2015, BuzzFeed reports. What she found is the stuff of nightmares. According to Monforton's blog, 17 amputations were reported at 10 Tyson meat processing plants during those months. One Arkansas employee lost the tip of a finger to an "impeller." An employee in Nebraska lost three fingers to a "skinner." And one poor Missouri employee lost both hands to an "auger." "The names of these tools tell just part of the story of why these amputations occurred," Monforton writes. "Their names, however, provide more than an inkling about the physical demands of these jobs."

Monforton decided to look into the injuries because of a new Occupational Health and Safety Agency rule that went into effect at the start of 2015. It requires companies to report all work-related amputations or hospitalizations within 24 hours. Experts have long considered OSHA data on injuries within the meat industry to be underreported by up to 70% for a variety of reasons. Employers were in charge of reporting the data, OSHA didn't verify it, workers were punished for reporting injuries, and so on. And the problem is likely even worse than what Monforton's numbers show. Ten states with Tyson factories have their own OSHA programs and weren't included in the tally, not to mention the factories of other major meat producers.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Having worked in food processing (made sausage for Armour Swift) I can say from experience that industrial equipment demands respect. Don't put yourself in harm's way, and if anything is jammed, you shut it down and LOTO before working on it. Even then you have to be aware of loads/tension and think what will move when I remove this blockage, and how am I going to remove it with the least likelihood of harm to myself.

Machinery doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care if you're rich, poor, black, white... you stick something where it doesn't belong and you're going to pay the price for that decision.

bbfreeburn

Having worked in food processing (made sausage for Armour Swift) I can say from experience that industrial equipment demands respect. Don't put yourself in harm's way, and if anything is jammed, you shut it down and LOTO before working on it. Even then you have to be aware of loads/tension and think what will move when I remove this blockage, and how am I going to remove it with the least likelihood of harm to myself.

Machinery doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care if you're rich, poor, black, white... you stick something where it doesn't belong and you're going to pay the price for that decision.
Long ago I worked in a cannery in the summers. I ran a machine that put cans into boxes. My first day the supervisor was showing me how to operate the machine and said, "if it jams here (pointing) make sure to turn it off before reaching in." As he said this the guy on the next machine was reaching in "there" and lost a finger.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAD AN UNCLE (NOW DECEASED) WHO WORKED IN A MEAT PACKING PLANT HERE IN DALLAS. HE LOST 3 FINGERS IN SOME MACHINE. THE COMPANY SLIPPED HIM $500 TO NOT REPORT IT. THEY PAID THE HOSPITAL AND DR BILLS. WHEN HE WENT BACK 2 WORK ABOUT A MONTH LATER, HE WAS FIRED. THEY SAID HE NEEDED ALL HIS APPENDAGES TO DO HIS JOB.

bbfreeburn

Have you ever eaten canned corn? Then don't read this.

In the same cannery where I worked we had machines that looked like large pencil sharpeners. Ladies were hired to shove ears of corn into them so the kernels would be removed. Every year, at least once, we had to stop the line and open cans of corn looking for some ladies finger with her ring on it. If it wasn't the ring finger I don't think we ever looked. Seems that, at least back then, federal regulations allowed for x number of fingers/rats/whatever per 1000 cans.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Fortunately, I never knew of any major injuries at Armour Swift. The main problem was repetitive motion injuries.

It wasn't from people trying, though. I often ran a forklift for the blending side, putting away 2500 to 3000 pound vats of blended meat in the coolers. They also stored the natural casings in the same cooler. One time, I was putting a vat up on the 3rd level over the top of a pallet of casing barrels on the floor level. Well, a group of 3 or 4 women came in from the casing prep room to get more casings. They walked right in front of my lift and underneath the 1.5 ton vat I was putting above theur heads! I was one of only 2 or 3 people there when I was who never dropped a vat in the racks, but it could happen. I couldn't believe the ignorace, walking under the load of a near fully extended lift... All I could do was stop to make sure the load was as stable as possible and yell at them. They still didn't get it, they just looked at me like I was the retard. :Confused:

A guy fell in the trash compactor while it was running one night. Fortunately he made it back out (just barely) before being crushed.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WHY WOULD THEY THROW AWAY A PERFECTLY GOOD WHITE GUY? OR WAS HE PAST HIS EXPERATION DATE?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
lol He was trying to force that last little bit in by pushing it with his foot - it gave, he lost balance and went in. It was like watching a cat fall in a bathtub the way he was clawing and scrambling to get out before he got squished. Funny afterwards (when he was safe), but it was a scary few seconds up to that point. Good thing the compactor had a long travel and was pretty slow.