Woman Sues Her 12 Yr Old Nephew For $127K

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I see his mother has since died... Sis trying to get a payday since they maybe have insurance money now? Inquiring minds want to know...

Robadat

Dumb question, but isn't this what homeowners liability insurance is for?
Most home owners insurance policies do cover personal liability...
I think that it's quite possible that Auntie Kunt probably rejected any offers the Ins. Co. may have made to settle the case. Just a guess, but I fairly sure that she likely wanted quite a bit more than medical bills and lost wages repaid...hors douves can be quite expensive on the Upper Eastside of Manhattan.

Robadat

Some more on this story...

A woman who sued her 12-year-old nephew for $127,000 over injuries she received when he exuberantly greeted her at his birthday party four years ago was forced to go to court over her medical bills, her lawyers said Wednesday as backlash against her on social media sites poured in.
A jury on Tuesday rejected Jennifer Connell's lawsuit, finding the boy was not liable for her injuries. She had said she broke her wrist when the Westport boy jumped into her arms at his 8th-birthday party, causing her to fall.
Jainchill & Beckert, Connell's law firm, said her nephew's parents' insurance company offered her $1 over the fall, which occurred at their home. She had no choice but to sue to pay medical bills, they said, adding that she has had two surgeries and could face a third, her lawyers said.
If it's true that the Ins. Co. only offered her $1 for the accident, that would explain why she sued...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Since when can you not sue an insurance company? I'd think it would at least be cited as a co-defendant.

Good to know insurance can just give anyone the middle finger that hurts themselves on my property, then sit back with a glass of wine and a cigar laughing their asses off as they watch me get sued and those bringing charges get raked over the coals in the media.

At first I was with Greg on this one... now I'm not so sure. :Cautious:

Robadat

Since when can you not sue an insurance company? I'd think it would at least be cited as a co-defendant.

Good to know insurance can just give anyone the middle finger that hurts themselves on my property, then sit back with a glass of wine and a cigar laughing their asses off as they watch me get sued and those bringing charges get raked over the coals in the media.

At first I was with Greg on this one... now I'm not so sure. :Cautious:
Ins. co. won't be a named deft. However, ins. co. will have attornies present during court proceedings against their policy holder (even so far as representing the policyholder if they don't get their own lawyer) as they are ultimately responsible up to the level of insurance the policy is for. But you're right, the Aunt was made out to be the horrible witch in this case, when it appears that it was BS Ins.Co. that refused to pay for her medical bills...I really can't blame her one iota for taking this to Court.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
It looks to me as if the insurance company felt that it would be better to go to court. Honestly, why not just sue the parent?

http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/jenni...onnecticut-manhattan-photos-facebook-damages/

According to the law there, the child HAD be a defendant. So the media took off with it. However, some of the Lawyers remarks were quite disturbing since none were originally about the insurance. Also disturbing was that the insurance company didn't want to settle. Sadly, the lawsuit makes the insurance company and the lady looking like the bad guys when in reality, this is about homeowners liability insurance.

Here in Alabama, this is how car accident law suits are done. The person at fault, or believed to be at fault, is sued. Then that person's insurance hires an attorney to try and settle out of court.

Last edited:

Robadat

It looks to me as if the insurance company felt that it would be better to go to court. Sadly, the lawsuit makes the insurance company and the lady looking like the bad guys when in reality, this is about homeowners liability insurance.
The Ins. Co. is the bad guy here if they only offered her $1 to cover her expenses for the injuries she received from this accident. I'm sure that the personal liability coverage limits the parents purchased in the homeowners policy is far, far higher than $1 per person per incident.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Here its generally 300K or 500K. Anything more requires a rider. I don't understand why the parents weren't named as defendants. Thats what I don't get.

Robadat

Here its generally 300K or 500K. Anything more requires a rider. I don't understand why the parents weren't named as defendants. Thats what I don't get.
I agree, the parents, as owners of the property where the accident occurred, and as the responsible adults for the child, should have been the named defendants. Maybe it's the way the laws covering this type of incident are written in Conn. that makes the kid who caused the injury as the named deft. Here in NY, my HO policy is 300K/500K (per person/ per incident) for personal liability and accidental injury on my property, I also carry a 2M umbrella policy, just in case...