Do you REALLY believe the stock market and unemployment figures?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Some of you probably believe that various economic statistical indicators are accurate and not misleading.

I could explain in detail how such things as the U.S. unemployment and stock market figures don't even come close to reflecting reality, but such explanations wouldn't be understood by most Americans.

However, it's far easier to put things in perspective with regard to U.S. inflation (cost of living) statistics. According to official government statistics, the rate of inflation for the entire year of 2015 was 0.1 percent. And for the 12 months ending in August of this year, the increase was 1.1 percent.

Now, IN REALITY, can any of you honestly say that your overall cost of living increased only one-tenth of one percent last year?

And the stock market and unemployment figures are just as misleading, though as I said, it would be much more difficult to explain (and for Americans, in general, to comprehend). Certain statistical "information" is released to the American public in order to make people "feel good" ... but most Americans wouldn't feel good if they knew the underlying TRUTH of the statistics that they are being fed.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I believe the stock market is an indicator. Not the only one though. Investors feeling good is always a good sign. Unemployment numbers are skewed. Inflation is always a problem because there are multiple indexes. The cpi doesn't measure healthcare and housing, which both have gone up. Food, gas, and clothing have been pretty steady.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Stock market used to be an indicator. But now with propping it up by printing new money and flooding the economy you can never tell when the crash is coming.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Stock market used to be an indicator. But now with propping it up by printing new money and flooding the economy you can never tell when the crash is coming.
Dear Greg T:

Exactly. And as I said, stock market, inflation and unemployment figures released to the public are intended to make everyone "feel good" -- even though those figures are NOT based on sound facts.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I believe the stock market is an indicator. Not the only one though. Investors feeling good is always a good sign.
Dear Djarum300:

Sure, investors "feeling good" isn't in itself a bad thing ... BUT do you SERIOUSLY think that the stock market values are where they are because so many American companies' ACTUAL "bottom lines" are so much better than they were 7 years ago? 10 years ago? 15 years ago?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The cpi doesn't measure healthcare and housing, which both have gone up. Food, gas, and clothing have been pretty steady.
Dear Djarum300:

Again, my point exactly. The CPI of 0.1 percent SOUNDS GOOD in itself, but how many Americans ACTUALLY paid $1,001 as opposed to $1,000 (for the same items) as they paid the year before?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
As an investor, I'm fucked and I know it. BUT, I'd rather take my chances in the ,market than a failing bank or in a moldy mattress.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
More on-topic statistics: Food prices continue to drop, having decreased 2% overall this year -- including a 7% drop in the price of such things as fish and eggs.

Is everyone enjoying all those "feel-good" price drops?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Heres another one. My Blue Cross medicare supplement just went from 244.00/mo to 628.00/mo. Bam Bam care is working perfectly!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
As a 44-year retiree of the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, I supposedly receive a "special" lower rate for daily delivery of the newspaper. But just this year, the three-month subscription rate started at $35, was raised to $50 in August, and I just received a letter today that indicated that it will now cost $70 for the next three months. Needless to say, I will no longer be a subscriber. Besides, it has become a typical liberal "mouthpiece" (in line with typical lamestream media outlets). But regardless. that's a little more than a 1% cost increase.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear bbfreeburn and Greg T:

Your most-recent posts dealt with investments ... but what about your cost of living? From your own experience(s), do you feel your expenses rose less than 1 percent over the past year or so?