Minneapolis Riots

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I think I mentioned that here we had a protest that the police had to disperse using tear gas. It started peaceful with a permit. It was supposed to end at 6:30 in the park. It moved at that time from the park to the courthouse. The police gave them an extra half an hour and then started giving warnings. Finally at about 8pm the police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd. A very vocal group is complaining about the use of force for an "unlawful" protest at that point. The protestors say they were agitated first by the police.

According the the police, there were about 20-40 individual passing out gas masks and milk. Its obvious that there was a group ready and according to the police that thats and indication to them that this won't remain peaceful.

Now tonight there is supposed to be another unlawful, unpermitted protest. We were supposed to have food trucks at the park tonight spread out for COVID19 but they canceled due to the threat of protest. One of the complaints of the protest is the use of force from Wednesday night.

So if I'm getting this straight, these folks want to "break" the law just to protest the use of force from Wednesday night. Really?

Can someone tell me how they can have a peaceful, lawful protest of 3000 people in the San Marco area of Jacksonville, FL, but here in little ole Huntsville AL we can't? The people after the protest in Jacksonville left after the event. That is the difference. There is a way to lawfully and peacefully protest without the use of force by the police. That occurs when people leave when they are asked.

bbfreeburn

Fair enough. It has been a mystery to me how the religious right backs him when he so obviously has so little in common with their scriptures

Last edited:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Fair enough. It has been a mystery to me how the religious right backs him when he so obviously has so little in common with their scriptures
Dear bbfreeburn:

I doubt that God would be in favor of abortion, same-sex marriage, disregarding laws and disrespecting authority, etc., etc., and regardless of what you think of the current White House occupant, I see no merit whatsoever in his likely opponent.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Well, wrap this around your heads. I lean pretty far right, but do agree with some social programs. People need help. I'm all for being relatively kind to people, helping others, donating to causes, giving to food banks, buying gifts for kids that have no xmas, etc. etc. ... and I'm an atheist. I believe the bible is a very nice feel-good story, but can't take it literally. Plus, how can god's word be spread and followed, when there are over 150 books left out because Constantine didn't like the content? I take issue with that. But I just want to say that one does not have to be a xian to be a good person.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Greg you need to spell the name of that book correctly. It’s buybull
I was trying to be respectful, this time, because the topic really isn't religion. Just want to make the point that xianity doesn't automatically make someone a good person, just as being deityless, er a-deitic, or um, counter-deitic, or in-deitistic would make someone bad.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I was trying to be respectful, this time, because the topic really isn't religion. Just want to make the point that xianity doesn't automatically make someone a good person, just as being deityless, er a-deitic, or um, counter-deitic, or in-deitistic would make someone bad.
... but whether or not you believe in God or the Bible, if a person was to abide by the moral positions espoused in the Good Book, they would almost certainly be a "good person."

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
GOD WOULD NOT FAVOR ANY POLITICIAN. NONE.
Dear WAMO:

God gives all human beings a free will, but it's hard to believe that God wouldn't favor the actual thoughts and/or actions of some people as opposed to others -- and course, that would apply to politicians.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
WELL AW, I AM NOT RELIGOUS. BUT TO THINK GOD WOULD SIDE WITH A POLITICIAN THAT WAS LESS SLIMEY THAN ANOTHER? SURELY YOU DONT BELIEVE THAT. DO YOU?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I truly don't understand the whole xian thing anyway. Seems to me that being a xian means you abide by the bible and exactly what it tells you. So, how can people, do the shit they do, day in and day out, and then call themselves xian just because they believe there is a god and maybe go to church now and then? I don't get it. Is that xian-on-demand?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
WELL AW, I AM NOT RELIGOUS. BUT TO THINK GOD WOULD SIDE WITH A POLITICIAN THAT WAS LESS SLIMEY THAN ANOTHER? SURELY YOU DONT BELIEVE THAT. DO YOU?
Dear WAMO:

[Allow me to preface the following comment to inform you that I am deeply religious. Further, I wrote newspaper columns on religion for several years after I originally took a newspaper job in Florida in the late '60s. And during much of last year, I took the time to read the Holy Bible from cover to cover.]

I don't feel that God necessarily "takes sides" with one politician (or one person) over another per se. However, throughout the Bible, God's word -- often through His Son or His prophets -- refers to things and commandments for people to ideally believe in and abide by. Therefore, it's logical that God could believe that Person A's values are more to His liking than Person B's.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I truly don't understand the whole xian thing anyway. Seems to me that being a xian means you abide by the bible and exactly what it tells you. So, how can people, do the shit they do, day in and day out, and then call themselves xian just because they believe there is a god and maybe go to church now and then? I don't get it. Is that xian-on-demand?
Dear Greg T:

God doesn't "demand" that anyone do exactly what the Bible says, but Bible teachings indicate that the only true way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. Even the most-holy men do things apart from God's values, but (according to the Bible), the key to a heavenly afterlife is belief in Jesus, although God knows everyone's thoughts and actions, so non-believers who call themselves Christians aren't fooling God in the least.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SO PERSON "A" KILLS A GUY AND PERSON "B" KILLS 2 GUYS, PERSON "A" IS IN BETTER FAVOR? ER UM...WHAT!!!

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Dear WAMO:

[Allow me to preface the following comment to inform you that I am deeply religious. Further, I wrote newspaper columns on religion for several years after I originally took a newspaper job in Florida in the late '60s. And during much of last year, I took the time to read the Holy Bible from cover to cover.]

I don't feel that God necessarily "takes sides" with one politician (or one person) over another per se. However, throughout the Bible, God's word -- often through His Son or His prophets -- refers to things and commandments for people to ideally believe in and abide by. Therefore, it's logical that God could believe that Person A's values are more to His liking than Person B's.
I'm not an Atheist, per se, but not Christian either. I'm not 100% sure who or what God is, but my issues with any organized religion lies in the involvement of (corruptible) man supposesly relaying the mesaage from God. While many religious writings have some good stories and are a commendable way to live life (being kind and helpful to others, not stealing, striving to be a good person, etc.), I don't think God is actively involved nor specifically cares. These rules seem to benefit man (controlling the masses) more than anything.

I don't particularly believe God is in any way humanlike in form, nor that it would actively communicate with man directly. I guess I'm a bit more Pagan in that I see God more of a life force - a natural energy that all life forms are a part of (whether they tend to thrive off of negative or positive energy - or both at different times). This makes more sense to me, especially in regards to questions surrounding horrific events; How can God allow horrible things to happen to innocent people/children? Because God (life) just is, and doesn't actively make decisions regarding what happens to us.

My theory on why prayer seems to work in some instances is not due to a judgemental God deciding to honor a request. Nor is it just happenstance. Prayer can work, IMO, due to a focus on invoking/attracting positive energy into one's life/situation. It doesn't always work, but somerimes it does (or seems to).

In no way can I guarantee I'm right or wrong - this just makes sense in my mind. I always feel closer to whatever God is when I'm out in nature than I do sitting inside any building or reading any book.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
It has been a mystery to me how the religious right backs him when he so obviously has so little in common with their scriptures
Religious Left backed Obama and that was odd as well. Of course, not many lefties are religious. They worship the Earth and anything un American.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
SO PERSON "A" KILLS A GUY AND PERSON "B" KILLS 2 GUYS, PERSON "A" IS IN BETTER FAVOR? ER UM...WHAT!!!
Dear WAMO:

How could one murderer compared to another murderer be considered "in favor"? That's not my point at all, and if you don't choose (or are unable) to comprehend what I said, so be it.