Racist Starbucks drama

Djarum300

Addicted Member
We have a local coffee shop that roasts their own beans. Their standard brew is fantastic.

I'll give starbucks some credit. Their coldbrew is good.

livespive

Sorry that’s just like crying rape. When the cops show up they have to find out what’s going on.

... but the cops didn't HAVE to investigate ... BECAUSE the proprietor has the right to cite trespassing ... after which the cops have an OBLIGATION to remove the individuals.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Sorry that’s just like crying rape. When the cops show up they have to find out what’s going on.
Correct. But they also have to (should) abide by the law. The best recourse (short of getting themselves arrested) would have been a civil (discrimination) suit against the company / manager, as well as media attention. Although, I guess forcing the arrest escalates media attention, but it puts the police in a bad position - they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. I imagine to these guys it was worth getting arrested to highlight the issue. Which is fine too. I'm glad their protest was peaceful, even while being arrested, and everyone is here to discuss how to improve and move forward.

livespive

See not really. I have seen plenty of situations when the cops were called for fights at parties etc and they find out what’s going on. They don’t just march in and cuff people. This situation here was calm enough that they could have talked and found out what was going on.

Now granted, if the guys would have been breaking coffee cups because they couldn’t get in the restroom, then they should have done something right away.

I worked as an RA ( Resident Assistant) in the dorms while I was in college and we were taught conflict resolution. Every situation is different but keeping a calm head is always the same.

Correct. But they also have to (should) abide by the law. The best recourse (short of getting themselves arrested) would have been a civil (discrimination) suit against the company / manager, as well as media attention. Although, I guess forcing the arrest escalates media attention, but it puts the police in a bad position - they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. I imagine to these guys it was worth getting arrested to highlight the issue. Which is fine too. I'm glad their protest was peaceful, even while being arrested, and everyone is here to discuss how to improve and move forward.