Seriously, can either Trump or Hillary unite the country?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton both claim that they can unite the country and its citizens, but they are just whistling past the graveyard (so to speak) because, in actuality, NEITHER can accomplish nationwide unity, and everyone should realize that.

Trump uniting the nation? Seriously? How about Hillary? Any logical-thinking person can always HOPE, but everyone should KNOW better.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Speaking of those damn yankees... I'm still wondering why those righteous yanks stopped at just destroying the South's economic engine (ending slavery) but did not immediately legislate all races to be treated equal. Why were slaves and women not immediately given the vote and equality then instead of another 100 years later? I mean, why would those wonderful yankees, who fought and died to free the slaves solely out of their superior moral obligation to love and respect all people, fail to immediately lay the foundation and set the rules for equal treatment of all races/genders of people?

Unless that is not really what they were fighting for...

As you can see, it's not just a black/white divide, there is still a north/south divide as well.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Speaking of those damn yankees... I'm still wondering why those righteous yanks stopped at just destroying the South's economic engine (ending slavery) but did not immediately legislate all races to be treated equal. Why were slaves and women not immediately given the vote and equality then instead of another 100 years later? I mean, why would those wonderful yankees, who fought and died to free the slaves solely out of their superior moral obligation to love and respect all people, fail to immediately lay the foundation and set the rules for equal treatment of all races/genders of people?

Unless that is not really what they were fighting for...

As you can see, it's not just a black/white divide, there is still a north/south divide as well.
Those issues were trivial at the time as the matter at hand was to either keep the union or just a group of sovereign states. The war started because of the difference between the slavery states and the free states, but not BECAUSE of slavery. The fight was for control of the country between the free states and the slavery states. Obviously the free states won and slavery was abolished in all states. Freeing the slaves was just a perk that came with the north winning.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Those issues were trivial at the time as the matter at hand was to either keep the union or just a group of sovereign states. The war started because of the difference between the slavery states and the free states, but not BECAUSE of slavery. The fight was for control of the country between the free states and the slavery states. Obviously the free states won and slavery was abolished in all states. Freeing the slaves was just a perk that came with the north winning.
All true. However, the north likes to label and shout down everyone in the south as racist, but they had the power to make all people equal in America 150 years ago and chose not to...

To livespive's point, our government (either side) has never appeared to be too keen on unity.

Good Times Good Times

As a history grad, I'd gladly go over this but it's hard on a cell (I'm not at work today). If we could do a Skype thing it would be easier Lolz

Greg did essentially hit on the point: we needed to have a "union" first. This is what aged Lincoln....

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
All true. However, the north likes to label and shout down everyone in the south as racist, but they had the power to make all people equal in America 150 years ago and chose not to...

To livespive's point, our government (either side) has never appeared to be too keen on unity.
Not really, 9~. It's not the north screaming racism. It's the liberals. There are millions and millions of us that are screaming for these people to shut the fuck up, mind their own business and start taking desensitization pills. I used to have a huge confederate flag as my background image on FB. I think it's absolute ridiculous how the liberals want to claim racism this, prejudice that, yada yada, when they themselves are the people who started the KKK.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yoopers are different... I think ya'll were southerners that got lost and went too far north during the war! :Laugh:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
But don't forget, it was the democrats that were hell bent on keeping slavery alive, and the republicans who set them free.
... and it was the Democrats who were strongly pro-segregation -- in policies and deeds -- for about a century thereafter.