Weather

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Back to the weather, the temperature reached 87 a while ago, and the skies have been sunny all day. Isn't is great in the Sunshine State?

livespive

Don't know.....

Let me ask you this, do you get a lot of the extreme storms in your area?
MY wife wants to move down there and I am against it for that reason.
I don't want to be 70years old boarding up my house every year.

Back to the weather, the temperature reached 87 a while ago, and the skies have been sunny all day. Isn't is great in the Sunshine State?

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Don't know.....

Let me ask you this, do you get a lot of the extreme storms in your area?
MY wife wants to move down there and I am against it for that reason.
I don't want to be 70years old boarding up my house every year.
Dear livespive:

I kid you not. I have lived in Sarasota, Fla., for just over 50 years, and in all that time, there has only been one hurricane that made a direct hit on my area, and that was Hurricane Abby in 1968 -- and even though they didn't rate the storms by "category 1-5" as they do now, it wouldn't have been more than a Cat-1.

As for the entire state, until there were a couple of hurricanes that had some impact -- though not major -- in 2016, it had been 11 consecutive years with NO HURRICANES hitting Florida.

livespive

hmmm

Maybe, just MAYBE :)

Thanks,

Dear livespive:

I kid you not. I have lived in Sarasota, Fla., for just over 50 years, and in all that time, there has only been one hurricane that made a direct hit on my area, and that was Hurricane Abby in 1968 -- and even though they didn't rate the storms by "category 1-5" as they do now, it wouldn't have been more than a Cat-1.

As for the entire state, until there were a couple of hurricanes that had some impact -- though not major -- in 2016, it had been 11 consecutive years with NO HURRICANES hitting Florida.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... and, of course, that doesn't mean that Florida (and my area) are immune from major hurricanes. We could be in line for something bad in that regard this year, next year, or in the relatively near future. But although hurricanes can be extremely nasty, the situation is generally not nearly as bad as people living elsewhere suspect.

livespive

Yeah, but I guess I can handle pushing my self propelled snow blower before lifting sheets of particle board, and cleaning water out of the house :)

... and, of course, that doesn't mean that Florida (and my area) are immune from major hurricanes. We could be in line for something bad in that regard this year, next year, or in the relatively near future. But although hurricanes can be extremely nasty, the situation is generally not nearly as bad as people living elsewhere suspect.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yeah, but I guess I can handle pushing my self propelled snow blower before lifting sheets of particle board, and cleaning water out of the house :)
You generally have some warning, and you can pay others to do that for you. Or, you could move to TX. I do not recommend Houston area if you're concerned about Hurricanes, but the Hill Country (Austin and west of Austin) is beautiful. And winter isn't too bad. Still get snow/ice in Dallas, but not as much as you're used to.