iPhone Backdoor?

Good Times Good Times

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/02/17/apple-iphone-tim-cook-backdoor-fbi-privacy/80491276/

Apple CEO Tim Cook said late Tuesday that the company would oppose a federal judge's ruling ordering the technology giant to help investigators break into an iPhone belonging to San Bernardino,Calif., shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

"We have great respect for the professionals at the FBI, and we believe their intentions are good. Up to this point, we have done everything that is both within our power and within the law to help them," Cook wrote in a letter published on the Cupertino, Calif.-headquartered firm's website.

"But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone," he said.

"Specifically, the FBI wants us to make a new version of the iPhone operating system, circumventing several important security features, and install it on an iPhone recovered during the investigation. In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession," he said.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
No fucking way. I mean, I believe these motherfucking useless douchebag goat fucking ragheaded shit stinking ball sack licking cocksuckers should be slowly tortured, giving up another one of our privacies is NOT an option. I'd love to see the FBI crack that phone on it's own, but to build another operating system so that everyone is vulnerable??? No fucking way.

Robadat

I'd like to see the FBI get into this assbag's phone if it will help them get any associates they have here as much as anyone. However, I do not want the Government to have a key to hack into anyone's personal phone unless they have a valid warrant backed by credible evidence. Apple is under no obligation to create this key, nor should they participate in any endeavor that places at risk the personal private info any end user may have on one of their devices. If the Feds want that info, let them figure out how to get it out of the phone on their own.

Disclaimer: I have never been a fan of Apple, but I respect and support their stance in opposition to aiding in creating abilities to hack their products. Thier only concern should be ensuring the safety of personal private info on their devices, not exploiting it.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I'm not sure on this one... they can already confiscate computers and take whatever data is there. Can someone explain how/why a cell phone would be any different than a computer? The carriers already log where calls go. They probably keep text trails too. Email can be found. I would imagine carriers can track "pings" and know approximately where the phone has been even if GPS is disabled.

So the only thing left on the phone would be photos, perhaps text (assuming they weren't deleted). Maybe some music files. Perhaps documents. Contacts? I suppose any apps loaded on the phone that have contacts permissions would have that data logged already?

Some of that may not apply to apple, as I'm an android user. I have no security, Google owns my soul and probably knows more about me than I do.

Robadat

9~,
Let the Feds go through the proper channels to get info from the carriers, etc. Don't give them (or anyone else, for that matter) the ability to gain free, unrestricted access to personal info/data on any device. We all know that if Apple were to create such a program, it will eventually be used illegally, either by the government or someone else. Probably be some Government agent who sells it.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't necessarily disagree, Rob. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why it's OK (or has been accepted) for them to do this with computers, but not cell phones? Cell phones today are basically palm sized computers.

How about things in between? Should they be allowed to access my chromebook? Or perhaps a tablet? How about cloud storage? With these platforms often being shared/accessible by multiple devices, where is the privacy line drawn?

In my mind, any laws that apply to legal recovery of data from computers should apply to cell phones and tablets in the same manner - and vice versa. If data recovery from cell phones is prohibited, it should be prohibited for computers/tablets also. Because all of these devices often hold similar (if not the same) personal data.

Robadat

Like I said 9~, let the Feds figure out how to get it out of the device, just like they do with the encrypted computers, etc.. I don't agree that the device manufacturers should deliberately create ways for anyone (including big Brother) to access private data without the device owners explicit permission. The manufacturer's goal should be that the info is protected as best can be from prying eyes. That would include computers, tablets, phones, whatever...

livespive

Simple, They have people working for them that can hack computers...
You know after a hacker gets caught he ends up working for the feds.
There has not be a phone hacker (that I know of) that has gotten caught,
so they don't have anyone on the payroll that can do it..

I'm not sure on this one... they can already confiscate computers and take whatever data is there. Can someone explain how/why a cell phone would be any different than a computer? The carriers already log where calls go. They probably keep text trails too. Email can be found. I would imagine carriers can track "pings" and know approximately where the phone has been even if GPS is disabled.

So the only thing left on the phone would be photos, perhaps text (assuming they weren't deleted). Maybe some music files. Perhaps documents. Contacts? I suppose any apps loaded on the phone that have contacts permissions would have that data logged already?

Some of that may not apply to apple, as I'm an android user. I have no security, Google owns my soul and probably knows more about me than I do.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
OK, I think I get it now... accessing the info isn't the beef. Forcing Apple to (spend the time/$) to get it for them is.

livespive

That and the security of it. Just imagine if Apple did this, and the key programmer pulled a Snowden, and vanished with the program.
Now if the feds had the phone, and come up with something on their own that's fine (still scary as they might use it in the future).

With the iPhone if you enter the wrong code 10 times it goes back to factory. I wonder what Apple has to get around that :)

OK, I think I get it now... accessing the info isn't the beef. Forcing Apple to (spend the time/$) to get it for them is.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I don't necessarily disagree, Rob. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why it's OK (or has been accepted) for them to do this with computers, but not cell phones? Cell phones today are basically palm sized computers.

How about things in between? Should they be allowed to access my chromebook? Or perhaps a tablet? How about cloud storage? With these platforms often being shared/accessible by multiple devices, where is the privacy line drawn?

In my mind, any laws that apply to legal recovery of data from computers should apply to cell phones and tablets in the same manner - and vice versa. If data recovery from cell phones is prohibited, it should be prohibited for computers/tablets also. Because all of these devices often hold similar (if not the same) personal data.
Nobody is saying it's not okay to go thru a cell phone. It's wrong for them to demand that Apple create a back door to it. Computers are easily hacked, with or without a password.

Robadat

Something like that. IF the tech/software is/were available, they can ask for it and have it used on that particular phone. It isn't. You can't make them give you something they don't currently have or even intend to develop.

Robadat

That and the security of it. Just imagine if Apple did this, and the key programmer pulled a Snowden, and vanished with the program.
Now if the feds had the phone, and come up with something on their own that's fine (still scary as they might use it in the future).

With the iPhone if you enter the wrong code 10 times it goes back to factory. I wonder what Apple has to get around that :)
Evidently, Apple nor anyone else has a way around that, and that suits Apple and their millions of customers just fine.:Cool:

Good Times Good Times

Here's my thing......I'm not really as much worried about the Government having it as much as I am it getting out there and in someone else's hands. And where does it stop? If it's done once they're going to come back when another terrorist attack happens.

If a program were to be created like that, it will leak out 100% of the time, and with people today having, essentially, their whole lives on their phones (SSN's / CC #'s etc), that's even more scary in the hands of a non governmental agency.

Spider

FBI beaten by a iPhone 5C. It's a tough call, but I must side with Cook and his moral stance. Let's face facts, this brand of terrorist fits an easy description.... Not like out of the blue.

MI2AZ

If the US Govt wants the key, then wouldn't every other foreign govt where Apple sells their phones want it also?

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
COULDNT THE FBI OR ANY GOVERNMENT ENTITY SIMPLY GO BEFORE CONGRESS AND SAY: "ITS A MATER OF NATIONAL SECURITY". THEN HAVE SOMETHING PASSED THAT FORCES APPLE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT? ARENT THERE MANY PRECEDENTS WHERE THE GOVERNMENT HAS INTERCEDED AND TOLD COMPANIES AND BUSINESSES WHAT THEY "HAVE" TO DO.