iPhone Backdoor?

Djarum300

Addicted Member
COULDNT THE FBI OR ANY GOVERNMENT ENTITY SIMPLY GO BEFORE CONGRESS AND SAY: "ITS A MATER OF NATIONAL SECURITY". THEN HAVE SOMETHING PASSED THAT FORCES APPLE TO DO WHAT THEY WANT? ARENT THERE MANY PRECEDENTS WHERE THE GOVERNMENT HAS INTERCEDED AND TOLD COMPANIES AND BUSINESSES WHAT THEY "HAVE" TO DO.
Giving out information is one thing, if a warrant is valid.

I don't think the government can force a company though to "write code".

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I don't have a problem with them turning the phone over to Apple to have them crack it and then return it. I have a problem woith the feds DEMANDING Apple to write a backdoor for them to use. That puts us all in danger

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I don't have a problem with them turning the phone over to Apple to have them crack it and then return it. I have a problem woith the feds DEMANDING Apple to write a backdoor for them to use. That puts us all in danger
I agree. In general, it is up to the government to keep up with technology to break passwords and get into phones, not Apple's. Security and Encryption shouldn't just go away because its NOW inconvenient for the government, when they themselves rely on the same systems.

Good Times Good Times

I have a problem woith the feds DEMANDING Apple to write a backdoor for them to use.
This is an area where you and I share agreement. To be fair, I don't think the government is demanding it.....but I'll extend it out to the point of them really even approaching asking for something like this. That's a bit much for me. If the feds could do it themselves.....well......I think it is what it is but I don't like the idea of law enforcement approaching via any means Apple asking for this type of thing.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
This is an area where you and I share agreement. To be fair, I don't think the government is demanding it.....but I'll extend it out to the point of them really even approaching asking for something like this. That's a bit much for me. If the feds could do it themselves.....well......I think it is what it is but I don't like the idea of law enforcement approaching via any means Apple asking for this type of thing.
I don't think it's bad for the feds to ask Apple. I don't think it's bad for Apple to refuse. But it would be nice if they decided to work together and ask Apple to crack it for them and then allow them to extract the data. I think it would be a nice gesture if Apple would offer to assist the feds in extracting the data, as long as it doesn't involve Apple turning over a tool for cracking phones.

Good Times Good Times

I don't think it's bad for the feds to ask Apple. I don't think it's bad for Apple to refuse. But it would be nice if they decided to work together and ask Apple to crack it for them and then allow them to extract the data. I think it would be a nice gesture if Apple would offer to assist the feds in extracting the data, as long as it doesn't involve Apple turning over a tool for cracking phones.
The problem with that is, once they do it once, they're going to return infinitely.

MI2AZ

You may be right. I just hate that the feds expect them to comply. Even tho I'd love nothing more than to see a shitload of those goat fuckers go down, I don't want our personal freedoms compromised.
Too late. Look at the aftermath of 9/11. Dept of Homeland Security, Patriot Act, Information Awareness Office, spying on US citizens by NSA, gun restrictions, etc.

Spider

Now Donald is calling for a boycott of Apple via Twitter. Damn. So Apple is on its own to protect us. I say buy more stock!

Spider

Greg, I agree w you.

I'm sorry, but when a "goat fucker" goes to Saudi Arabia for a vacation, then comes home w a bride he needs to be probed. The FEDS dropped the ball, like they did w the Boston bombers. Remember the Russians tried warning us?

Stand with Apple.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
LIKE GTGT SAID ONCE THEY DO IT, ITS OVER. BUT THE FBI WOULD NOT JUST TURN THE PHONE OVER WITHOUT A TECH AGENT GOING WITH IT AND KEEPING EYES ON THE PHONE. ROB COULD ANSWER THIS, BUT ARENT THERE RULES FOR COMPILING EVIDENCE?

bbfreeburn

WAMO said, "BUT ARENT THERE RULES FOR COMPILING EVIDENCE?" Do you really expect the feds to follow rules? What, you were born last night?

Robadat

LIKE GTGT SAID ONCE THEY DO IT, ITS OVER. BUT THE FBI WOULD NOT JUST TURN THE PHONE OVER WITHOUT A TECH AGENT GOING WITH IT AND KEEPING EYES ON THE PHONE. ROB COULD ANSWER THIS, BUT ARENT THERE RULES FOR COMPILING EVIDENCE?
Different jurisdictions have different rules for evidence. I'm not familiar with the Federal guidelines, but generally there must be a "Chain of Custody" established. This chain would show each and every person who had physical control over the evidence and what if anything they did with the evidence (forensic testing, etc.).

You really have to look at what exactly the FBI is asking from APPLE in this case. They want APPLE's assistance in disabling certain security features built into the Phone and it's OS that would allow the FBI to unlock and view it's personal data. The FBI has already screwed up in that they destroyed the ICloud account for the phone by changing it's password which erased the stored data in the ICloud account uploaded from the phone.

What they're asking for basically is a new OS to be installed on this phone that would allow them to circumvent the security features and encryption already on the phone. This would involve Apple in writing a new OS to install on the phone, that's a pretty big investment in time, resources for Apple, OS's aren't written overnight. Would/Should the Feds foot the bill, or expect Apple to do it for free? The FBI claims they only want it for this particular phone, but if it is written, what's to stop them from taking it, hacking it and using it to access other phones. It's also interesting that they want this OS to be able to be installed on the phone by both wired and unwired (WiFi, Bluetooth or over cell network). Why those capabilities? Seems to me they'd only need the wired method for a phone under their physical control, unless they're looking to eventually have it be used on a phone other than one they have physical control over...

Djarum300

Addicted Member
From the technical details I've read, they really aren't wanting the encryption disabled. I think what the FBI wants is an OS that disables the 10 tries and the phone self destructs mechanism on the phone they are trying to hack. This shouldn't be that hard for apple to do it. Not that they should.