The Magic NUMBER is 8...

Robadat

Sure we can blame Cutler or the Cubs not making things right with the exiled Bartman, but I agree with jls: The Cubs have a bright future. Also I might add, a lot of $ to buy key FA's.
The Cubs looked pretty legit this year and surprised a lot of people. I agree, the future does look very promising for this team. I think they need to add another quality starter if they want to get to the Series...

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
... but even despite the promising future potential, the Cubs will be hard-pressed to match this year's 97 regular-season wins.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Keep in mind that sometimes, failing to go all the way (and win a title) can get more and more difficult after a post-season disappointment. The Buffalo Bills went to four consecutive Super Bowls, but when they blew the first one, they also failed to win any of the other three, and although the Atlanta Braves did claim one World Series title, that's not impressive, in that they won 14 consecutive division championships starting in 1991.

Don't forget that the Cubs also won 97 games in 2008, but that team fell meekly to a sweep by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Division series. And there is always much talk about the 1908 Cubs, but the following year (in 1909), the Cubs won 104 games (when fewer games were played each season) but failed to win the pennant.

This year, the Cubs didn't really mount a serious challenge to the Mets. They never lost a one-run game, and in fact, the Mets scored four or more runs each game while the Cubs scored three of fewer runs each game.

There's no guarantee that the Cubs will even gain a postseason berth next year, and there's no guarantee that they'll do much, even if they make the playoffs.