U.S. Marine vet punished after protesting daughter's mandatory recitation of Muslim creed

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
This is an outrage!

When an American citizen can’t freely question the government or stand up for his or her beliefs, our First Amendment is meaningless.

U.S. Marine veteran John Wood, who lost friends in combat during Operation Desert Storm, has been banned from his daughter's high school and will likely be unable to attend his daughter's high school graduation.

WHY? Because his daughter is in a Maryland class that requires students to memorize and recite
The Shahada, the Muslim statement of faith that declares belief in the oneness of God and the acceptance of Muhammad as God's prophet.

Hill strongly objected, saying he didn’t want his daughter pledging faithfulness to Islam, because doing so would violate his family’s Christian faith.

Our Founding Fathers wouldn't recognize an America in which you’re punished after questioning whether your child should be forced to write and recite The Shahada.

Here's a link to the Washington Post article that tells about this outrage ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...kids-school-after-objecting-to-islam-lessons/

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Fuck that shit. I'd burn that fucking school, and any other school that pulled that shit, to the ground!

Scolai

I like Greg's spirit, but I hate prison, so...

They would be getting a strongly worded letter from my attorney, and the press they would receive for indoctrinating my kid in ANY religious instruction would have them tripping over themselves to rectify the situation. Schools can handle pissed off parents; they HATE bad press and lawsuits.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
“There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

That’s what that public high school in Maryland is requiring students to memorize and recite.

I suppose they could also have the students chant "Barack Hussein Obama ... mmm, mmm, mmm" after reciting The Shahada.

Good Times Good Times

I'm having a difficult time understanding how this is making her a muslim by knowing their creed. If you recite the oath-of-office for the presidency on a test, it's not that you become the president or have endorsed the presidency.

Also, this is a world religions class that covers the other major religions of the world. Guys, this just in, knowing the 5 pillars of Islam and their creeds and sects (sunni/shia etc) are really just very basic things to learn. Do any of you even realize that it's not an Islam exclusive class and that Hindu, Christian, Buddhist material is also part of the criteria?

I'm not a pagan by any means, but I wouldn't have an issue with my high school child learning the facts of Scolai's faith (or lack of).

What makes it even better is the opening line for dramatic effect....."This is an Outrage!" hahaha, you all are the best sometimes. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'm having a difficult time understanding how this is making her a muslim by knowing their creed. If you recite the oath-of-office for the presidency on a test, it's not that you become the president or have endorsed the presidency.

Also, this is a world religions class that covers the other major religions of the world. Guys, this just in, knowing the 5 pillars of Islam and their creeds and sects (sunni/shia etc) are really just very basic things to learn. Do any of you even realize that it's not an Islam exclusive class and that Hindu, Christian, Buddhist material is also part of the criteria?

I'm not a pagan by any means, but I wouldn't have an issue with my high school child learning the facts of Scolai's faith (or lack of).

What makes it even better is the opening line for dramatic effect....."This is an Outrage!" hahaha, you all are the best sometimes. :Biggrin:
Huge difference between knowing the oath of office of the president and having an evil religion crammed down your throat. Would it also be okay for kids to be taught the Oath of Allegiance to the KKK? How about Al Qaeda? ISIS? How about the Loyalty of Oath of the Nazi SS troops? Would that be okay?

Good Times Good Times

Huge difference between knowing the oath of office of the president and having an evil religion crammed down your throat. Would it also be okay for kids to be taught the Oath of Allegiance to the KKK? How about Al Qaeda? ISIS? How about the Loyalty of Oath of the Nazi SS troops? Would that be okay?
I'm not saying it's ok to "having an evil religion crammed down your throat". That's not what's happening.

It is the topic of the class. The class is "world religions". When we went through the holocaust in high school (which was the main theme of my senior year history classes) we certainly learned about Nazi ideology. We even.....visited the US Holocaust Memorial and I must say it is nuts to see some of that stuff.

ISIS and Al-Qaeda, they exist in the world unfortunately, it's a reality. We must educate our students on who and what these groups are.

Having an ideology crammed down your throat is what happens to those who are taken captive by the barbarians, educating students on what these groups are, objectively, is education.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'm not saying it's ok to "having an evil religion crammed down your throat". That's not what's happening.

It is the topic of the class. The class is "world religions". When we went through the holocaust in high school (which was the main theme of my senior year history classes) we certainly learned about Nazi ideology. We even.....visited the US Holocaust Memorial and I must say it is nuts to see some of that stuff.

ISIS and Al-Qaeda, they exist in the world unfortunately, it's a reality. We must educate our students on who and what these groups are.

Having an ideology crammed down your throat is what happens to those who are taken captive by the barbarians, educating students on what these groups are, objectively, is education.
I don't have a problem at all with educating the students of all the evil in the world, explaining their true goals and detailing their actual methods of operation. But to learn, and having to recite an oath? I find this totally unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.

Good Times Good Times

But to learn, and having to recite an oath? I find this totally unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.
I'd just remove it from my test to stop all the crying (look at me with the compromise). If the goal of the class is to explore Islam as a religion it seems to me necessary (and you disagree which is fine) and you unnecessary. Just like the sermon on the mount is fair game to learn about w/regards to Christianity in a world religions class.

I get a kick of of the OUTRAGE! <-- lol OP is OUTRAGED!!!!! :Mad: :Mad: :Biggrin:

I'm sure all is well when covering the protestant reformation to the OUTRAGED parents.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I'd just remove it from my test to stop all the crying (look at me with the compromise). If the goal of the class is to explore Islam as a religion it seems to me necessary (and you disagree which is fine) and you unnecessary. Just like the sermon on the mount is fair game to learn about w/regards to Christianity in a world religions class.

I get a kick of of the OUTRAGE! <-- lol OP is OUTRAGED!!!!! :Mad: :Mad: :Biggrin:

I'm sure all is well when covering the protestant reformation to the OUTRAGED parents.

You're probably right about that. But, I'm an outsider looking in. I have no deity so I am a neutral party. I would have just as much problem with my kids memorizing and being required to recite bible verses, even within the normal curriculum. Learning "about" the religion is one thing. Being required to recite it's teachings is another. As I said in my first post, I'd burn the fucking schools down before I would allow my kids to be indoctrinated into the world of fantasy gods.

Robadat

GT, there is a big difference between explaining to someone that Muslims have but one God, Allah, and having them recite a Pledge that states so. It is also a violation of the first Amendment "impeding the free exercise of religion" to force persons of one faith to state a pledge to another faith when making that statement is in violation of the person's religious beliefs.

Would you also have no problem if Hindu, Muslim and Buddhist students were forced to recite the Lord's Prayer in order to pass this class? how do you think those parents would feel?

Good Times Good Times

You're probably right about that. But, I'm an outsider looking in. I have no deity so I am a neutral party. I would have just as much problem with my kids memorizing and being required to recite bible verses, even within the normal curriculum. Learning "about" the religion is one thing. Being required to recite it's teachings is another. As I said in my first post, I'd burn the fucking schools down before I would allow my kids to be indoctrinated into the world of fantasy gods.
Fair enough.

Good Times Good Times

GT, there is a big difference between explaining to someone that Muslims have but one God, Allah, and having them recite a Pledge that states so. It is also a violation of the first Amendment "impeding the free exercise of religion" to force persons of one faith to state a pledge to another faith when making that statement is in violation of the person's religious beliefs.
Again, I'd shut it down just to qwell the bitching and crying and leave it to college for real education w/regards to this subject.

Would you also have no problem if Hindu, Muslim and Buddhist students were forced to recite the Lord's Prayer in order to pass this class? how do you think those parents would feel?
As one who identifies and has core Christian beliefs, I will tell you that in a world religions class I wouldn't have an issue with my child being tested on the core beliefs and creeds of other religions to prove they understand that material. Quite obviously, that's just me.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member

The other piece that inflames the issue is knowing full well if the teacher required students to recite the lords prayer, all hell would break out in the media. The double standards with the media (on several topics) are really pissing a lot of people off.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear Good Times Good Times:

So in your opinion, would it be OK for high school students to be required to recite John 3:16 ... "For God So Loved the World, He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life"?

livespive

I think GTGT is saying that he wouldn't have a problem with them being tested on core beliefs, not being required to repeat something over and over. IF they are learning about Islam this week and something else the next, I don't have a problem.

So in your opinion, would it be OK for high school students to be required to recite John 3:16 ... "For God So Loved the World, He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life"?

Good Times Good Times

As one who identifies and has core Christian beliefs, I will tell you that in a world religions class I wouldn't have an issue with my child being tested on the core beliefs and creeds of other religions to prove they understand that material. Quite obviously, that's just me.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Does anyone know (or have a pretty good idea) whether or not Islamic children could be allowed or encouraged to recite something that pertains to another religion? And what would be the likely result if such a thing happened?