WTF

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Wow. Just doing some quick research it takes a permit and inspection to have a wire run in Atlanta GA by an electrician and the permit could take weeks. What a money grab by the government.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Why should the permit take weeks? Should be a simple fill out sheet, give them the money (that's all they really want anyway) and send you on your way permit in hand.

Typical Government bureaucratic bullshit. Take a simple process and make it as inefficient and as big a pain in the ass as humanly possible.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I saw where some cities require rough in inspection, service inspection, and final inspection. That means a 2 houtlr job could turn into a several day job waiting in an inspector.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Ugh... Although I can see why - depending on the electrician. Just like any other profession, some are more / less experienced than others. Some are more meticulous, and some are the "that's good enough" types and some are everywhere in between. Still a total PITA though.

We had a house built years ago, and it was astounding some of the shortcuts they tried to make. And yes, one issue was an electrical one the inspector caught. They messed up an opening in the kitchen, and decided to use a sawz-all to resize it. In the process, they cut a wire to one of the electrical outlets. They tried to just wrap the spliced wire in electrical tape and hide it. Inspector made them put the splice inside of a junction box, permanently mounted to the structure, with wire nuts instead of tape completing the splice. I'd rather he made them run a new wire for being jackasses, but the solution met code.

When replacing a light fixture in our current bathroom, a previous owner had apparently replaced it once already. He wanted it moved 6" left of where the box was. Instead of moving the box, he just dug a trench in the drywall and pulled the wire through and stuffed in that trench to the new light. I used to have a pic of it, but deleted it (otherwise I'd post it). Needless to say my fixture in mounted back to the box with all wiring safely inside.

Another house we reworked about half of the electrical outlets had their polarity reversed. I changed every switch, outlet, and light fixture in that house and added a couple. Some of it I hired an electrician for because previous wiring methods were sketchy. Most was OK, but some of it even had my electrician scratching his head for a while trying to figure out what they did and why while he was correcting it.

Last edited:

livespive

Yeah depends on what you are doing you have to:

Have the wire sized (design)
Have a drawing packet done (design)
You have to have the the design reviewed and stamped by a PE (that’s me)
You have to have to have the prints walked through the state inspection Engineer.
Then you can pull the wire.

I won’t even get into plan stamping.

Wow. Just doing some quick research it takes a permit and inspection to have a wire run in Atlanta GA by an electrician and the permit could take weeks. What a money grab by the government.

livespive

Yeah I have PDH credits to keep up on too. I have to license myself in each state.

And about minding your own business, know what I mean. You know damn good and well people that are sitting in the park BBQing or sitting at the pool don’t need the cops called........

If you are that scared, stay in the house.

WHEN THE ECONOMY TOOK THAT BIG HIT IN 2008, MOST ALL THE MAJOR CITIES STARTED COMING UP WITH WAYS TO INCREASE REVENUE FOR THE NEXT TIME. AND GET READY, CUZ THERE IS ANOTHER BIG CRASH COMING. IM AN ELECTRICIAN AND WORK OUT OF DALLAS. 6 TO 8 MONTHS AFTER THE FALLOUT OF '08, THE CITY SAID WE HAD TO GET PERMITS FOR EVERYTHING NOW. IF I GO INTO A HOUSE TO WIRE FOR AND INSTALL A CEILING FAN, YOU GOT IT, THEY WANT ME TO PERMIT IT.IF I GET CAUGHT WITHOUT A PERMIT, I COULD BE FINED UP TO $10,000 AND LOSE MY LICENSE. I ALSO HAVE TO PAY FOR AND TAKE A CONTINUING EDUCATION TEST, AND PASS IT, EVERY YEAR. SO WHEN I HEAR OF A HANDY MAN DOING ELECTRICAL WORK, YOU BET YOUR ASS I GET MAD. DO I TURN THEM IN, NO. WOULD I GIVE THEM AN EARFUL, FUCK YES I WILL. EVERY YEAR I HAVE TO PAY FOR LICENSING, BUSINESS INSURANCE, TESTING, PERMITS AND ANY NUMBER OF OTHER THINGS BUSINESS RELATED.
AND LIVE, I THINK US MINDING OUR OWN BUSINESS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA ANYMORE. TO MANY BAD THINGS HAPPENING THAT PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT, ARENT SAYING.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
And about minding your own business, know what I mean. You know damn good and well people that are sitting in the park BBQing or sitting at the pool don’t need the cops called........

If you are that scared, stay in the house.
The choice is simple... slice me off a few of them ribs or maybe a little brisket and there won't be no trouble! ;) :D

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
9, I HAVE SEEN THAT SO MANY TIMES. HOMEOWNERS AND HANDY MEN MAKING JOINTS AND HIDING THEM IN THE WALL. THAT HAS NEVER BEEN OK TO DO. AND IF ONE OF THOSE JOINTS BECOMES LOOSE, GOOD LUCK FIXING IT WITHOUT SOME KIND OF SHEETROCK DAMAGE. A FEW MORE DOLLARS NOW, TO DO IT RIGHT, VS ALOT OF DOLLARS TO FIX IT LATER.