The "Back in MY Day" post

bbfreeburn

Back in MY day, a driver would pull into a service station, be greeted by an attendant, and simply made a request, such as "A dollar's worth of regular" or "Fill it up with Ethyl." For each dollar, you not only got the requested gasoline, but also had your windshield washed and oil and tires checked, at no extra charge.

[Today, when you pull into a service station, your only likely contact with an employee is via the press of a button on the pump (if you need assistance). Before fueling, you must go inside to pay in advance or you have to scan a gas card or a credit card. If you use a credit card, chances are good that you'll have to (a) enter the card in the reader, (b) indicate "yes" or "no" whether or not you want a car wash, (c) indicate "yes" or "no" whether or not you want a receipt, (d) wait for preliminary authorization, (e) enter your 5-digit zip code, (f) select your fuel-grade choice, (g) pump the fuel yourself, (h) put the fuel hose back in the proper place, and (I) wait for the receipt, if you asked for one, or go inside to get it, if you get a "see cashier" message.]

... and not only that, you have to pay MUCH, MUCH MORE for far less service.
I fondly remember buying gas at 24 cents a gallon.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I fondly remember buying gas at 24 cents a gallon.
Dear bbfreeburn:

I still have a tiny ledger in which I entered everything pertaining to gas purchases while driving all the way from San Diego, Calif., to Nashville, Tenn. (on my way to Vanderbilt University for the start of my senior year in 1962) ... and THE TOTAL COST for a trip that long (in a Volkswagen) was JUST UNDER $15. Only once did the cost exceed 25.9 cents a gallon, and that was 29.9 in a small town in Arkansas.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
BACK IN MY DAY, AT THE SERVICE STATIONS (AND SOME STORES) WE USED TO GET GREEN STAMPS WITH A FILL UP!
.32 CENTS WAS THE CHEAPEST I REMEMBER AROUND HERE, EARLY 70'S.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
BACK IN MY DAY, AT THE SERVICE STATIONS (AND SOME STORES) WE USED TO GET GREEN STAMPS WITH A FILL UP!
.32 CENTS WAS THE CHEAPEST I REMEMBER AROUND HERE, EARLY 70'S.
... but by about 1973, the cost almost instantly doubled to 65 cents and upward, and the price kept soaring for years after that.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IT DIDNT DOUBLE THAT HERE UNTIL AROUND 77' MOR 78'. I ALSO REMEMBER ONLY BEING ABLE TO GET GAS BASED ON THE LAST DIGIT OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE. ODD OR EVEN.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
IT DIDNT DOUBLE THAT HERE UNTIL AROUND 77' MOR 78'. I ALSO REMEMBER ONLY BEING ABLE TO GET GAS BASED ON THE LAST DIGIT OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE. ODD OR EVEN.
Dear WAMO:

I believe you are mistaken. I doubt that the Dallas-Fort Worth area was an exception when gas prices soared all over the nation in 1973 in connection with long lines and gas-pump shortages.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I DID NOT SAY IT DIDNT SOAR SIR, YOU SAID DOUBLE. DIDNT DOUBLE FROM .32 PER GALLON UNTIL 77' OR 78' SIR. NOT AROUND DALLAS ANYWAY.

livespive

All I know is that my Aunt could get $1.00 of gas and drive all around Columbus, Ohio.
I was born in 72 so if I could remember it like that I'm saying about 78...

Just crazy.

Good Times Good Times

Dear bbfreeburn:

I still have a tiny ledger in which I entered everything pertaining to gas purchases while driving all the way from San Diego, Calif., to Nashville, Tenn. (on my way to Vanderbilt University for the start of my senior year in 1962) ... and THE TOTAL COST for a trip that long (in a Volkswagen) was JUST UNDER $15. Only once did the cost exceed 25.9 cents a gallon, and that was 29.9 in a small town in Arkansas.
I found the ledger! :D :Roflmao: :Roflmao: :Roflmao:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
LOOK AT THAT! THE VERY FIRST EMOJI. LINE JUST ABOVE BOTTOM LINE. MIDDLE OF THE LINE. IS THAT A SMILING AND WINKING EMOJI!?