The elephant in the room; discussion

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I'm kinda tired of late night hosts having political opinions just to appease their audience. Kimmel seems to be the worst of he bunch, but Fallon is getting just as bad.
Neither of those late-night hosts concern me a bit ... BECAUSE I'VE NEVER WATCHED EITHER OF THEM.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
That's b/c your TV is only tuned to Fox News 24/7....
Dear GTGT:

FOX News is the only cable channel that even ATTEMPTS to be "fair and balanced" ... so naturally, I pay more attention to Fox broadcasts than other such channels. And although I never watch fake-news CNN or MSNBC in detail, I do take brief looks at both of them several times a day, and almost every time I do, it's more of the anti-Trump (or anti-guns) agenda.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I liked jimmy Fallon when he first came on. Everytime an event like this occurs he makes a point to talk about his opinion.

I watch late night to wind down at night. It's ok he has an opinion. What I don't find ok is he feeling he needs to yhrot his opinion on it during a show. If he'd like to put his opinion out there o Twitter or Facebook, that's fine.

livespive

Don't know if this is off topic, but I think it fits in with the parenting....

I was reading reviews today on a game for my iPhone, and a reviewer says that they wish that they would stop putting ads
in the games, because her son can't read and just pushes on anything shiny and new, then she has to come and play hero and get him
back to where he was......

Now my take on this is:
1 if he can't read he shouldn't be on a damn iPhone he should be in a book (with the parent).
2 this is how the programming starts playing the mindless games before you mind is formed.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Don't know if this is off topic, but I think it fits in with the parenting....

I was reading reviews today on a game for my iPhone, and a reviewer says that they wish that they would stop putting ads
in the games, because her son can't read and just pushes on anything shiny and new, then she has to come and play hero and get him
back to where he was......

Now my take on this is:
1 if he can't read he shouldn't be on a damn iPhone he should be in a book (with the parent).
2 this is how the programming starts playing the mindless games before you mind is formed.
That review says a lot about her as a parent. Instead of spending time with her child, she gives him a phone to keep him occupied - then bitches when the phone fails to keep her child from distracting her from whatever it is she'd rather be doing than raising her kid.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I don't know about most of you, but the "You've been watching too much FoxNews" (or __________) has been beaten to death. Can we move past this?
Typical... that's exactly the kind of party line rhetoric we've come to expect from a damn (insert opposing party name _______) like you!! :Roflmao:

So I guess the short answer would be, "no". ;) :Biggrin:

Scolai

Scolia, with you being a teacher in the classroom, what are your thoughts on arming teachers and what affect has all this terror had on your classroom environment?
I think arming teachers is a bad idea, but not for the reasons about which most people are bloviating. Most people will tell you that arming teachers will end in students overpowering teachers, stealing the guns, and wreaking havoc on the school. Sounds good, but it's mostly bullshit and paranoid thinking.

Here's why you don't arm teachers. Killing a perfect stranger is hard, especially from close range. Taking a life takes a toll on a person so it's not something to take lightly. Police train for it. Teachers don't. Now, couple that with the idea that a teacher will very likely have to put sights on a kid who just a day or two ago was sitting in 3rd-period algebra. The result is going to be a conflicted soul who, faced with the consequential decision to kill a student, will invariably hesitate in pulling the trigger. The end result is likely to be a classroom full of dead kids and faculty and the availability of another weapon to the shooter (when he takes the dead teacher's weapon).

Give teachers the tools they need to take action against a threat. Train them in takedown strategies (I teach them to my co-workers) and disarming strategies (I teach them to my coworkers) in addition to the proper design of a defensible classroom. My personal classroom has numerous designed features that allow students to take part in their own defense while providing me with ample opportunity to close with, engage, and subdue a violent intruder.

Would I carry a weapon on campus if allowed? Maybe. Probably. But I don't really need it to truly fuck up an intruder in my classroom.

As for the effect of all of this violence on my classroom - there has been no effect. Virtually every kid in the school knows me and knows that I am the go-to person on safety. Most kids in my school will tell you that my room is the place to be in a situation because they know I will royally fuck up a person for ever trying to harm my students. I am constantly reading books on preventing and protecting against school shooters. I know my shit, and my kids know I know my shit.

I have three kids at this school. I'll be damned if I'm going to let some disturbed dickhead threaten my kids - either my biological ones or my 'adopted' ones (students).

Last edited:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Nobody ever suggested tossing a firearm at a teacher and saying HERE. TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. Of course those who decide to take up arms would be required to take a good training course, and also a quarterly refresher course. It would be foolish otherwise. There should also be access to a counselor in case a teacher would want to talk. These are just logical steps to a protected school. The bad thing in all of this is that it come to this. There should be no need, but, since there is...

livespive

Well said!!

I think arming teachers is a bad idea, but not for the reasons about which most people are bloviating. Most people will tell you that arming teachers will end in students overpowering teachers, stealing the guns, and wreaking havoc on the school. Sounds good, but it's mostly bullshit and paranoid thinking.

Here's why you don't arm teachers. Killing a perfect stranger is hard, especially from close range. Taking a life takes a toll on a person so it's not something to take lightly. Police train for it. Teachers don't. Now, couple that with the idea that a teacher will very likely have to put sights on a kid who just a day or two ago was sitting in 3rd-period algebra. The result is going to be a conflicted soul who, faced with the consequential decision to kill a student, will invariably hesitate in pulling the trigger. The end result is likely to be a classroom full of dead kids and faculty and the availability of another weapon to the shooter (when he takes the dead teacher's weapon).

Give teachers the tools they need to take action against a threat. Train them in takedown strategies (I teach them to my co-workers) and disarming strategies (I teach them to my coworkers) in addition to the proper design of a defensible classroom. My personal classroom has numerous designed features that allow students to take part in their own defense while providing me with ample opportunity to close with, engage, and subdue a violent intruder.

Would I carry a weapon on campus if allowed? Maybe. Probably. But I don't really need it to truly fuck up an intruder in my classroom.

As for the effect of all of this violence on my classroom - there has been no effect. Virtually every kid in the school knows me and knows that I am the go-to person on safety. Most kids in my school will tell you that my room is the place to be in a situation because they know I will royally fuck up a person for ever trying to harm my students. I am constantly reading books on preventing and protecting against school shooters. I know my shit, and my kids know I know my shit.

I have three kids at this school. I'll be damned if I'm going to let some disturbed dickhead threaten my kids - either my biological ones or my 'adopted' ones (students).

livespive

I agree with this, but I think it is like scolai said, in the end the teacher is a "normal" person.
While law enforcement are "normal" people too, they have chosen their path and know what lies ahead.
Do some of them freeze, yes, but I think the situation would be worse one the armed teacher. especially after
yes they can talk to someone, but it would be very rough.

Nobody ever suggested tossing a firearm at a teacher and saying HERE. TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. Of course those who decide to take up arms would be required to take a good training course, and also a quarterly refresher course. It would be foolish otherwise. There should also be access to a counselor in case a teacher would want to talk. These are just logical steps to a protected school. The bad thing in all of this is that it come to this. There should be no need, but, since there is...

sevenpin63

Addicted Member

Great reply.
I agree with most of what you say.
Now I say this as I am ex military but i think the exception would be if your teachers or coaches, hell even the janitor as long as they are some form of ex police, or ex military and have had that extensive training you are talking about. Even people like you who have took it upon yourself to have that type of training.

Because you are correct when you say it is very different when you take a life and have to live with it for the rest of your life. It's not easy the first time or anytime after that.

livespive

Well here we go again, the same school here had to evacuate..... bomb threat.

LIVE, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CALLS A DAY JUST LIKE THAT AT EVERY POLICE STATION IN THE COUNTRY. THEY SOMETIMES HAVE TO JUDGE WHICH CALLS ARE REAL AND WHICH ARE JUST NUISANCE. THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE THAT CALL IN JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE PISSED OFF AT SOMEONE VS A REAL THREAT. NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH POLICE TO HANDLE ALL THE CALLS. AND SOMETIMES SHIT SLIPS THRU THE CRACKS, SAD, BUT IT HAPPENS. CRUZ IS A SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT STORY I BELIEVE. ATLEAST 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE NOTIFIED LAW OFFICIALS AND NOTHING HAPPENED.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Well here we go again, the same school here had to evacuate..... bomb threat.
Why, that's impossible. I'm pretty sure Bombs have been banned and are ILLEGAL for people to have!

Wait, was it an "Assault Bomb", or just a stick of dynamite that rednecks use for fishing? :Roflmao:

Scolai

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's book On Killing is required reading for anyone who wants to talk intelligently about arming teachers (or other non-LEO/military members of society). He writes extensively about the difficulty of close-quarters killing.

Another consideration is the damage having a weapon will do to teacher/student relationships. A teacher with a gun is far less approachable to students (most students, anyway), making it more difficult to maximize the teacher/student relationship.

Just a thought.

Last edited: