This should be interesting

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. HENDRICK AND PENSKE WOULD RUN AWAY IF THEY DIDNT MAKE SOME CHANGES TO EQUAL OUT THE CARS. THEN YOU WOULD BE WATCHING 15 CARS INSTEAD OF 40 CARS. THE SMALLER GARAGES COULD NOT COMPETE FOR THE BIG MONEY. THATS WHAT STARTED HAPPENING. ALL THE BIG MONEY SPONSERS WERE JUMPING TO BIG CAR GARAGES AND MOST OF THE SMALL GUYS HAD NO SPONSER ON THE HOOD, OR ONLY HAD A SPONSER FOR A HAND FULL OF RACES. ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY AND TRYING TO HELP OUT THE LITTLE GUY. THAT, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH. AGAIN, NOW ITS THE BETTER DRIVER, NOT THE FASTEST CAR WITH A SOSO DRIVER.

IT WASNT JUST THE ROLL CAGES. FRAMES ARE STOUTER, ENGINES ARE BOLTED IN BETTER, THERE WERE MANY SAFETY MEASURES PUT IN OVER THE LAST 15 YEARS OR SO. BUT IT ALSO HELPS WITH INSPECTIONS BEFORE AND AFTER THE RACES. ALL THOSE SPLITTERS AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF ARE TO KEEP THE CARS FROM LIFTING AND FLIPPING. ALL THAT STUFF IS DESIGNED TO KEEP THE CAR LOW AND PUSHED DOWN. SO YES, SAFETY MEASURES.

I DO AGREE ABOUT THE SUPER SPEEDWAYS. ALOT OF PEOPLE THAT WOULDNT NORMALLY WATCH A RACE, WATCH JUST TO SEE THE BIG ONE.

FASTEST NASCAR LAP EVER RECORDED, BILL ELLIOTT 212.SOMETHING 1987. YES LATE 80'S.

WHAT SPORT IN THE LAST 50 YEARS HASNT CHANGED DRASTICALLY?

YOU GUYS WANT SUPER FAST CARS, ITS CALLED DRAG RACING.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HIS DAUGHTER IS HOT! BIG LARRY DIXON FAN. AND I REALLY LIKED EDDIE HILL TOO.

MUCH LIKE OUR YOUTH G, THE OLD WAYS ARE GONE. NEVER TO RETURN.

YOU TALK ABOUT COOKIE CUTTER CARS. HOW MUCH MORE STOCK CAN THEY GET?!

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Perhaps I should have become a race-car driver. Within a year after I got my first driver's license, I routinely drove my car at speeds of 100 miles an hour (or even slightly higher) on the highway.

bbfreeburn

AW, it took a car wreck (fell asleep while driving home from work) to convince me that I didn’t have to go 100 on the highway.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
AW, it took a car wreck (fell asleep while driving home from work) to convince me that I didn’t have to go 100 on the highway.
Dear bbfreeburn:

I was only 17 (and older) when I started driving down the road at speeds of 100+, and I never experienced any difficulty or dangerous situations. [Sorry to hear about your auto wreck, by the way.]

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
A guy in my high school did that. He had just completely restored a '78 Trans Am, 400 w/4speed. It was a really sweet car - for a week. Fell asleep driving home one night and launched it off a curve into a bunch of pine trees. Totaled the car, but fortunately he was OK.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I DONT KNOW WHY, BUT I HAVE A PICTURE IN MY MIND OF AW FRED FLINTSTONEING DOWN THE HIGHWAY!

bbfreeburn

Actually I was lucky. I didn’t have the seatbelt On and Ithe steering wheel went through the seat while I went out the window. I figured I had one coming and have never driven again without the belt on.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Actually I was lucky. I didn’t have the seatbelt On and Ithe steering wheel went through the seat while I went out the window. I figured I had one coming and have never driven again without the belt on.
That's the kind of event that makes a man think real hard about things...

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I DONT KNOW WHY, BUT I HAVE A PICTURE IN MY MIND OF AW FRED FLINTSTONEING DOWN THE HIGHWAY!
Dear WAMO:

It had nothing to do with driving or speeding, but with regard to bowling and having the nickname of "Fish" (or Mighty Fish), I was occasionally referred to as Fred Fishstone.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear bbfreeburn:

I'm truly glad that you survived the incident and are still around to tell about it.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I MAY NEED SOME SPLAININ ON THAT NICKNAME AW. WHEN I WAS YOUNGER, REFERING TO SOMEONE AS FISH, MEANT THEY HAD PLENTY OF MONEY AND NO SKILL. BUT I GUESS GENERATIONAL NAMES MAY HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I MAY NEED SOME SPLAININ ON THAT NICKNAME AW. WHEN I WAS YOUNGER, REFERING TO SOMEONE AS FISH, MEANT THEY HAD PLENTY OF MONEY AND NO SKILL. BUT I GUESS GENERATIONAL NAMES MAY HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS.
Dear WAMO:

The bowling-related nickname stemmed from the fact that I was extremely difficult to beat while bowling for money. And when I did so, an occasional observer would say something such as "When Bill bowls someone for money, it's as if he's reeling the money right out of (the other guy's) wallet." Eventually, somehow the "reeling" term became "fishing" and then, I was called Fisher (and my "victims" were called Fishees). But soon, it was shortened to "Fish", and so it remains to this day, even though I can no longer bowl.

Last edited:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I find it unusual that no one has questioned a couple things with regard to my regularly driving at speeds of 100 mph or more.

Nobody has questioned how I managed to avoid ever getting a speeding ticket, and even if someone questioned that, no one has indicated that I must have been breaking the law.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I HAD A '73 Z28 THAT I STREET RACED. NEVER GOT OVER 100 ON THE HGHWAY, 411 REAR GEAR, BUT OFTEN OVER 90 FROM LIGHT TO LIGHT. PLENTY OF TICKETS FOR "CONTEST OF SPEED". IN 1975 MY INSURANCE, LIABILITY ONLY, WAS $3500 PER YEAR. HAD TO HIDE IT FROM POPO FREQUENTLY. I COULD OUT RUN THEM,BUT NOT THEIR RADIO.