Officer Jitters Raises Questions

Robadat

Not at all,

As mentioned in the other post, if we must prove that we are not that person, then they need to prove that they are looking for such said person.

Just walking up to me saying that look like some guy just won't cut it, not today......

It might have worked back in the day.
Sorry, live, but I have to totally disagree with this view. The street is not the place to hold a "impromptu hearing" on the merits of a stop. If I get a radio call stating the description of someone wanted for an armed robbery that may have just happened, I do not have any proof of that to present to a person I stop that he fits the description of the armed robber. Moreover, if that person IS the person being sought and is in fact armed as the radio broadcast reported he was, the first thing I will do is ensure he doesn't get an opportunity to use it on me by allowing him to distract my attention away from securing the scene by engaging me in some BS about reasonable suspicion or probable cause. That ain't happening, not with me or anyone I work with.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Sorry, live, but I have to totally disagree with this view. The street is not the place to hold a "impromptu hearing" on the merits of a stop. If I get a radio call stating the description of someone wanted for an armed robbery that may have just happened, I do not have any proof of that to present to a person I stop that he fits the description of the armed robber. Moreover, if that person IS the person being sought and is in fact armed as the radio broadcast reported he was, the first thing I will do is ensure he doesn't get an opportunity to use it on me by allowing him to distract my attention away from securing the scene by engaging me in some BS about reasonable suspicion or probable cause. That ain't happening, not with me or anyone I work with.
Absolutely. And the problem did not originate thru bad cops. It's sad that our society has devolved in such a way that our law enforcement is under fire for doing what they were hired to do, and that they have to fear for their lives every time they punch in. 40 years ago, things like this were the extreme exception and not "business as usual" . I remember the days when a murder was something that shook the community. Now, just another day in "paradise". I remember when kids could go out and play all day long without checking in at home, riding bikes all over, playing ball, just enjoying the good life. Now, can't wander 3 blocks from home without worry of being abducted or worse. Cops used to stop and talk to us, tell us jokes and even throw us a dollar to go get ourselves a treat. Now? Most times they're stopping to ask if you were anywhere near the car that is burning to the ground. I wish I could go back to the safety, freedoms and less stressful times of the 60s.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IT JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME TO MAKE, WHAT COULD BE A PLEASANT AND QUICK EXCHANGE WITH THE POLICE, TURN BAD BECAUSE YOU GET AN ATTITUDE. AND I THINK LABELING MOST COPS AS BAD IS NOT THE NORM. I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT MOST COPS WOULD DO THE RIGHT THING WITHOUT JUDGING WHO THEY ARE CONFRONTING. THATS LIKE SAYING MOST BLACKS ARE OUT TO CONFRONT COPS. I DONT BELIEVE THAT EITHER.

livespive

Right, and that was the point of JLS Mayberry flashback comment :)

Times have changed, so everything must evolve, even law enforcement.

Absolutely. And the problem did not originate thru bad cops. It's sad that our society has devolved in such a way that our law enforcement is under fire for doing what they were hired to do, and that they have to fear for their lives every time they punch in. 40 years ago, things like this were the extreme exception and not "business as usual" . I remember the days when a murder was something that shook the community. Now, just another day in "paradise". I remember when kids could go out and play all day long without checking in at home, riding bikes all over, playing ball, just enjoying the good life. Now, can't wander 3 blocks from home without worry of being abducted or worse. Cops used to stop and talk to us, tell us jokes and even throw us a dollar to go get ourselves a treat. Now? Most times they're stopping to ask if you were anywhere near the car that is burning to the ground. I wish I could go back to the safety, freedoms and less stressful times of the 60s.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
To be fair, I can see how African Americans may not have enjoyed the 60's as much. Generally speaking.
Absolutely, but do you really think it's any better now? From what I have lived and seen, I firmly believe the black/white relations today are FAR worse than they were back then.

livespive

Depends on how you look at it Greg,

There are things that were done in the 60's, that if they were done now would start an all out race war in those areas.

Absolutely, but do you really think it's any better now? From what I have lived and seen, I firmly believe the black/white relations today are FAR worse than they were back then.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Depends on how you look at it Greg,

There are things that were done in the 60's, that if they were done now would start an all out race war in those areas.
I agree, BUT, there are things causing huge riots and wars today that would not have even reached the news worthy status back then. I mean, can you explain the mentality of burning and looting and killing of innocent people in protest of one death? Seriously, how do you link "that guy that just robbed a store was shot....lets burn the fucking city down, steal all the TVs and cell phones, and then kill anyone trying to stop us..?

Good Times Good Times

I think we lost sight of the fact that we were born in the greatest country in the world, at the greatest time to be alive. For all of the problems we have politically, culturally etc........I'm glad I live in the era of modern medicine and technology.

There are a lot, A LOT, of people that would gladly take on our issues. I legitimately feel bad for those who, by a random hand dealt by the Universe, were born in North Korea/Syria/Iraq/Iran etc....

livespive

After it's been done so many time logic tends to go out the window......

Just like the watts riots in the 60's

I agree, BUT, there are things causing huge riots and wars today that would not have even reached the news worthy status back then. I mean, can you explain the mentality of burning and looting and killing of innocent people in protest of one death? Seriously, how do you link "that guy that just robbed a store was shot....lets burn the fucking city down, steal all the TVs and cell phones, and then kill anyone trying to stop us..?

MI2AZ

I experienced the Detroit riot in 1967. My city bus route to school went down 12th St (where the riot started) so when school started back up I saw the burned out buildings. The fringe area of the riot was in my neighborhood where all of the supermarkets/food stores were looted along with a few other businesses like the cleaners across the street from us.

livespive

Yeah, it isn't just now, it was then as well......

There was not as much media then so not as many people got the news.

I experienced the Detroit riot in 1967. My city bus route to school went down 12th St (where the riot started) so when school started back up I saw the burned out buildings. The fringe area of the riot was in my neighborhood where all of the supermarkets/food stores were looted along with a few other businesses like the cleaners across the street from us.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Won't argue that. Although, racism exists in all colors. It ain't always whitey's fault.
Zactly. The majority of the blacks I see interviewed actually believe whitey owes them reparations for slavery. Most dont even know the history of slavery. Dont get me wrong, I'm not ragging on blacks. I'm simply pointing out what I see.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
AS LIVE STATED, THERE WERE THINGS DONE IN THE 60'S THAT WOULD CAUSE RACE WARS TODAY. SO WE HAVE PROGRESSED ENOUGH TO PREVENT THAT, BUT YET THERE IS STILL LOOTING AND BURNING. IT WOULD APPEAR YOU ARE RIGHT, SOME HAVE PROGRESSED, SOME HAVE NOT.