The elephant in the room; discussion

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Football is not condoning and promoting death. Although many NFL stars are arrested for bar fights and domestic violence which may or may not be contributed to football. Then again, we don;t know how many of them are gamers.
I don't see video games that way. I mean, when you die in a first person shooter you just reapawn in a video game. Many first person shooters are team based as well. The graphics realistic, sure. A parent needs to teach and know when their children are ready for violent video games or violent movies. And for teens and adults who understand it's just a simulation are probably going to be far better off with an outlet than those who don't, who act out on their anger.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
RAMPAGE SHOOTINGS - EVENTS THAT RESULT IN ATLEAST SIX DEATHS AND ATTRACT WIDESPREAD MEDIA ATTENTION. SHOOTERS DO NOT SEEK OUT GUN FREE ZONES. LOUIS KLAREVAS, WHOSE BOOK RAMPAGE NATION: SECURING AMERICA FROM MASS SHOOTINGS, EXAMINED 111 SHOOTING ATTACKS BETWEEN 1966 AND 2015 THAT LEFT ATLEAST 6 VICTIMS OR MORE DEAD IN EACH INSTANCE. HE DIVIDED THE SHOOTINGS INTO 3 CATAGORIES BASED ON WHERE THEY TOOK PLACE: GUN-FREE ZONES (NO GUNS ON PREMISES): GUN-RESTRICTING ZONES (NO GUNS ALLOWED, BUT ARMED SECURITY IS ROUTINELY PRESENT); AND GUN-ALLOWING ZONES (CIVILLIANS PERMITED TO CARRY GUNS).
KLAREVAS FOUND THAT ONLY 18% OF THE RAMPAGE ATTACKS OCURRED IN SPACES WHERE CIVILLIANS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE GUNS. HE ALSO FOUND THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY, OR NEARLY 90 PERCENT OF GUN MASSACRES, HAPPENED IN PLACES WHERE GUNS WERE ALLOWED.
"WITHOUT QUESTION," HE CONCLUDED, "GUN-ALLOWING ZONES DO NOT DETER MASSACRES."
Flawed data from the start. The data to which you refer includes domestic violence, accidental shootings and suicides. Domestic violence occupies 54% of mass shootings and suicide takes up another 32% which includes the perp shooting him/herself after the domestic. We are not talking about these since there is no way to stop domestic violence and suicide. Also, in 34% of those cases the shooter had been restricted from owning a firearm anyway. So again I ask. What law would you think would stop the violence?

And, the real data shows that since 1950 thru 2016 98.4% of mass shootings took place in gun free zones, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center.

livespive

IT comes back to parenting.....

these kids playing the games now can't separate reality from the game why,
The parents let them stay in the game...

I remember DOOM, but it wasn't on my phone, my computer, it wasn't a movie.
Even if it was, there was parenting to control how much we had, and instilled good values in us,
so the game was just that, a game.

Like I said before we got kids throwing rocks over overpasses to hit cars because they want to see what it's like
WTF!!!! we would not have done anything like that, our parents would have killed us, and they also taught us better.

Parenting,

I don't see video games that way. I mean, when you die in a first person shooter you just reapawn in a video game. Many first person shooters are team based as well. The graphics realistic, sure. A parent needs to teach and know when their children are ready for violent video games or violent movies. And for teens and adults who understand it's just a simulation are probably going to be far better off with an outlet than those who don't, who act out on their anger.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS INCLUDED ONLY WHERE THERE WERE 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. AND, OTHER GUNS WERE PRESENT TO STOP THE KILLER, BUT DIDNT. SUICIDES ARE NOT INCLUDED, ONLY 1 VICTIM. THE ONLY STATS THAT WERE USED HAD 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. IF YOU ARE REALLY AGAINST THE VIOLENC G, WHAT LAW DO YOU THINK WILL WORK? YOU KEEP ASKING ME, BUT YOU HAVNT OFFERED ANY ALTERNATIVES. AND NOTHING I HAVE SAID HAS MADE YOU HAPPY. AND THE CPRC STATS DO NOT COVER ONLY 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. SEE, ALWAYS GUNA BE A DIFFERENT OPINION OF WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG. ALWAYS.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS INCLUDED ONLY WHERE THERE WERE 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. AND, OTHER GUNS WERE PRESENT TO STOP THE KILLER, BUT DIDNT. SUICIDES ARE NOT INCLUDED, ONLY 1 VICTIM. THE ONLY STATS THAT WERE USED HAD 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. IF YOU ARE REALLY AGAINST THE VIOLENC G, WHAT LAW DO YOU THINK WILL WORK? YOU KEEP ASKING ME, BUT YOU HAVNT OFFERED ANY ALTERNATIVES. AND NOTHING I HAVE SAID HAS MADE YOU HAPPY. AND THE CPRC STATS DO NOT COVER ONLY 6 OR MORE VICTIMS. SEE, ALWAYS GUNA BE A DIFFERENT OPINION OF WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG. ALWAYS.
That's exactly my point! Holy fuck, I've been telling you for 13 pages now. THERE ARE NO LAWS THAT WILL STOP THIS VIOLENCE! Mental health issues, and the desensitization due to violent movies and video games will certainly cut it down. GUN LAWS WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY THE LAWS!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I GUESS GT WAS RIGHT. NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE, NO POINT IN TALKING ABOUT IT ANYMORE. JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH OUR KIDS KEEP DYING. AND THE LV AND FL SHOOTERS WERE NOT CRIMINALS UNTIL THEY PULLED THE TRIGGER.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I GUESS GT WAS RIGHT. NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE, NO POINT IN TALKING ABOUT IT ANYMORE. JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH OUR KIDS KEEP DYING. AND THE LV AND FL SHOOTERS WERE NOT CRIMINALS UNTIL THEY PULLED THE TRIGGER.
Wow! I'm done.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Ok WAMO now we should ban packages delivered to a home or anywhere. They could explode, Ok ban all boxes and bags.
Well, if the current laws were being followed... I'm pretty sure building bombs and randomly blowing people up is against the law!

Can you imagine the outcry if the police were using bombs to blow up suspects? Kneeling hell, they'd be belly flopping during the anthem! :Roflmao:

toolguru

Total Tool
Another school shooting. Not to revisit the gun debate, because lines are drawn and we all know where who stands in this forum.

What I want to talk about is the root problem with these horrific acts. The weapon is easy to point to and say "Take it away and this won't happen", and that's a true statement. If guns didn't exist, nobody would get shot. BUT... what about the people who have engaged in these acts?

Does nobody care, or is nobody interested that despite all of our success as a country, many, many Americans are deeply troubled and extremely aggressive and angry? Why do we think that is? What failures are occurring in our society that make people angry and hateful, to the extent some wish to (or eventually do) injure or murder random Americans in these outbursts?

One thing I think the internet does do, for good or bad, is show us what people are really like in their soul. Being anonymous seems to help some reveal their true selves. So we look at comments sections, tweets forum posts, etc., and what do we see? A lot of angry people downright filled with hatred and contempt for anyone that doesn't think/believe as they do. Some are just kids/trolls looking to rile people up. But many, I think, are serious.

Consistently, especially in political discussions, the "opposition" is derided as being inferior, evil, not even deserving of life let alone a shred of respect. THIS is how many of our fellow countrymen seem to view half of our society! And it starts with many of those who are supposedly representing us all to work for the betterment of our country! How is that even possible when our leaders view each other (and campaign about their opposotion) as undeserving, evil scum?

America has no respect for itself. We don't, let's be honest. The left hates he right and the right hates the left, and both of them hate all the independents and the independents hate them right back. Respectful discourse and compromise are treasonous acts in the modern US of A.

Actually, we should change our name. We are no longer United. We are now the DSA - DIVIDED States of America. Instead of "The Land of the Free", our new motto should be "You're With Us or Against Us!"

Sarcasm aside, when we don't have or show a shred of respect for our fellow countrymen. When we have an abundance of hate and anger in our society. When we fail to teach our children right from wrong, how to behave in a civilized society, how to be strong, confident, and succeed on their own, how to have empathy for our fellow man. When we don't instill in them how to be proud of who they are and where they come from. When we don't respect each other for the positive things each person brings to our society... At this point, does which weapon was used even matter?
9, The answer to the school shootings is within the hearts of the kids in the school’s. Can they stop ostracizing those that are different. Can they go up to the goon/geek/nerd sitting by himself in the lunchroom or on the bus and say hello. Can they hear and more importantly, listen to all voices of all students It has to start with them. It ain’t going to be with the old farts that populate this site. They’ve too set in their ways and thinking. It will get better with the youth and their unbiased minds as long they use those brains before the adults around them jade yhem